PDA

View Full Version : Fuel

Nova_Tek
20-11-03, 07:39 PM
This has probably been asked before...

My nova has been adjusted to handle 95RON and 98RON Fuel (Dunno if thats just my one or if they all like that). What RON is SuperUnleaded?

Does it have to be either 95 or 98 to be able to use or can it be anywhere between the two RON ratings?

Thanx lads (And Any Ladets)

NovaNeil
20-11-03, 07:49 PM
Regular Super unleaded is 97 RON, Optimax and BP Ultimate are both around 98 RON.

All cars produced in this country are designed to run with 95RON as this is standard British pump fuel. Increasing the octane won't damage your engine in the slightest......in fact its better for it.

Some cars (eg: Turbos and highly tuned engines) are set up to run higher Octane fuel as it has better resistance to detonation, which means you can advance the timing, hence increasing power. As a side effect they can't go back to running standard 95 RON fuel, for fear of damaging there engine.

Hope this helps?.....

Neil

Aragorn
21-11-03, 12:20 AM
a point would be not to set the ron plug to 98 and then run on 95 as the ecu will advance the timing too much and u will get detonation

j1400
21-11-03, 12:40 AM
Bet it won't cause it to detonate, the advance on the engine will be very conserative so say the least, as vauxhall won't set the engine to run on the detonation limit. running the 97/98 plug on 95 won't casue detenation less there is somethign very wrong with your car

Aamir
21-11-03, 09:30 AM
Advancing the timing - How is it done ?
How would you know how much to advance it by ?

j1400
21-11-03, 10:09 AM
The RON plug on the loom adjusts the advance, this is all controlled by the ecu on the injection engines, it is a matter of the resistance acress the pin that dictacts the advance.
The reason you can run the 97(brown) plug on normal unleaded is becasue these engines are designed to work all across the world, so should not knock in the desert where it is very hot. But here it's cooler so the likehood of detenation pretty low, hence you can get away with using more advance.

Dicko
21-11-03, 11:12 AM
you havent said what engine or mods so im not about to start guessing!

Nova_Tek
21-11-03, 10:52 PM
Sorry forgot to tell you the engine. Its actually a 1.2 Carb model.

So what you guys have been sayin dont really apply as there is no octane plug.

The old air filter box had a certified sticker saying that it has been tuned/adjusted to take Fuel at both 95RON and 98RON. (Now a K&N Bolt On)

So i was basically wondering if it can run on fuel such as Super and Optimax etc.

Cheers

locky
21-11-03, 11:04 PM
Where is this brown plug? i cant seem to find mine! the engine is a 1.6 GTE
Cheers!
Locky!

rysmee
21-11-03, 11:14 PM
on the bulk head to the left of the wiper motor

Aragorn
21-11-03, 11:21 PM
locky iirc yours is the early bosch system

maybe it simply didnt have it

j1400
21-11-03, 11:40 PM
You can adjust you advance on your car my moving the distributor in the oposite direction to rotation. I did this on my 1.2i engine and ran colder plugs (one grade) and ran on optimax and about a 9deg adavance.
just move it anitclock (don't quote me as had a few cans now see hanyes) a little bit at a time up the road. then a little more and so on till it knocks. then take it back to where it didn't
It's a gain, can't say how much as never saw the point of RR, but there is one.
James

locky
22-11-03, 11:57 AM
When advancing on the distributor its clockwise! if u do it whilst the engine is running, you can hear the revs pick up a bit!

j1400
22-11-03, 01:04 PM
As from Haynes manual, when looking at the cap end engine rotates in a clockwise direction. Hence to advance the ignition you must move the distributor anti clock.
If you have a mechanic mate, then borrow his strobe and you can set the adavnce to a specific angle.
James