PDA

View Full Version : petrol gauge

iceman_674
19-11-03, 06:00 PM
the petrol guage on my nova has just started to f**k up doent show the correct amount ive run out of petrol twice now and the petrol gauge shows more than half. is it a tank problem or a dash fault??

adam2472
19-11-03, 06:49 PM
Will probs either be the gauge itself or the fuel sender unit on the tank.
got exact same prob but think its the gauge as it only works som of the time.

gauge is easy to replace but duno bout fuelsender unit?

Aamir
20-11-03, 10:03 AM
I've heard sender unit failure is a common fault on carb models,
mine failed cost me ?28 from Vauxhall, scrapping the car now, doh !

Ste_Nova
20-11-03, 10:43 AM
my gauge is busted anything below 1/2 is incorrect... i just keep it above 1/2 all the time

Alex
20-11-03, 12:40 PM
my gauge beggered up about a year ago. i gave it a good kick and it worked again :lol: . must be a loose connection

rgv_stu
20-11-03, 12:58 PM
my coolant gauge plays up on cold mornings
within a mile its past the red , when the stat opens it drops back to 1/4 and its fine from there on - stupid thing

iceman_674
20-11-03, 06:04 PM
can any one tell me how to change the sender unit or is it better to change the tank as i have a spare tank.

PE4
20-11-03, 11:20 PM
Changing the sender is very easy mate, just make sure you are pretty much empty of fuel first, and the sender twists off. You need a flat edge about 4 inches long to turn it easy.

If you look at your spare tank you will see that the sender is underneath it, so it is easy to get to. Only a one spanner job in the haynes manual If I remember correctly.

Steve

Jon_nova1
22-11-03, 08:57 AM
my gauge beggered up about a year ago. i gave it a good kick and it worked again :lol: . must be a loose connection

i would have said do that

Mark
22-11-03, 10:26 AM

You would :!:

Jon_nova1
24-11-03, 04:53 PM

You would :!:

yeah if that didn't work a hammer or other heavy tool (brick) would
if not i accept non of the responsibility of any of the above

dave.gsi
24-11-03, 09:56 PM
my fuel gauge only works on thursdays. rest of the week it must have a lie in or something :roll:

ade
25-11-03, 12:08 AM
pe4 wrote -

If you look at your spare tank you will see that the sender is underneath it, so it is easy to get to. Only a one spanner job in the haynes manual If I remember correctly.

thought the sender was under the rear seats under the plastic disc or am i misreading it?

If you cant be anussed to change it simply make a mental note of how many miles you usually get on a full tank - then when you come close to the miles, fill up, reset your counter and start again...

Ade
:wink: