PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fade

Dicko
19-11-03, 10:23 AM
I got 16v front brakes with red dot 6 groove discs and red dot fast road pads. the rear brakes are standard with new cables, new drums, new shoes.
when you wanna stop from say 50-60 or slower the brakes are great. but coming down from say 90 they seem to pull really hard down to 50 then start to fade, by the time your at 30 they just dont seem to be doing anything no matter how hard you push the pedal.
im guessing it cant b the front brakes as there designed to stop much greater weight from that speed. so maybe the backs are boiling the fluid?

or is it simply time to go for something better?

Dicko
19-11-03, 05:25 PM
bling bling

rysmee
21-11-03, 11:33 PM
id say it is the front brakes just over heating, if you've kept them on from that sort of speed any brakes will be hot ..even ones that are drilled and grooved. you just have to learn to brake hard and fast and then when they start to fade - if you havent already stoped - release the brakes then re-apply them. same sort of thing as if you were cadence braking in the rain

dave.gsi
22-11-03, 12:28 AM
^^^^ agreed.
why are you braking from 90 odd to 30? you either drive pretty lively on the motorway like or your a speed demon on the school run :roll:

rallyslag
23-11-03, 06:12 PM
i don't think it's a case of just saying don't slow down fron 90 to 30 then!

you could try removing the dirt shield thing behind the disks as that restricts cooling, or maybe betters brake fluid, braided hoses if you aint already got them. It might be just poor pads as i have had that problem before.

If all else fails get harder pads i guess.