PDA

View Full Version : HELP: 1992 Nova 1.4 SR Lighting Problems - Bad Earth??

kerfuffle
18-11-03, 05:28 PM
Ive had nothing but trouble with my SR since I bought it a month ago... It had LED washer jets wired in when I bought it, but they have been done my mickey mouse autos.

They were spliced into the Side Lights in the Fuse Box, and also onto the Side Lights (Behind the actual units) under the bonnet.

Here is what happens...

Everything works on on its own.. e.g. you can brake, indicate and use the head lights (On their own).... as soon as you make a combination of these the lights go mad...

e.g.

If using the brakes and indicators at the same time (Quite common :D ) the brakes work, but the indicator lights dont flash... instead... all of them just light very dimly...

If using the lights and indicators the same thing happens

If using the brakes and lights at the same time, the rear red lights go out... the indicator lights come on very dimly and the fog light inside the car lights up...

And reverse, well... it causes a whole disco on the back of the car...

Sometimes the indicators make the side lights flash too...

Anyone got any ideas as to where it could be? Ive removed all of the bad wiring and taped everything up... there is a chock block behind the passenger light on the front... who knows why...

There is also an alarm and immob on the car (Autowatch CAT1)... this usually flashes all the indicators, but now does them all minus the rear ones...

Someone, Help!

Got a bad feeling this is gonna cost me a fortune!

rgv_stu
18-11-03, 09:51 PM
well i would get rid of them led washer jets for starters

then get yourself a multimeter and start checking the wiring. a missing or bad earth will make it do some strange things so i would check them for starters.

chenco
19-11-03, 12:41 AM
Check Hazard switch. Probs not the only cause but when ever indicators go funny its normally the hazard switch.

kerfuffle
19-11-03, 08:47 AM
We had a look last night...

Those crappy LED Washer Jets are gone... but there is so much bad wiring... like behind the radio and all sorts...

Its got a Cat 1 Alarm etc, ive found all of the boxes for that...

So off to an auto-electrician now I think :)