PDA

View Full Version : Temperature sensor

so1o
18-11-03, 02:50 PM
Well today morning at 5am my car decided it was going to burst the top radiator hose. When you've just finished a 12 hour night shift its not very nice :(. Anyway manged to tape it up, put water in and get me home from Hemel to Luton. I have got another new pipe on now, fitted but damn temp gauge doesnt work anymore. Theres a little plug that connects on the engine where the rad pipe goes in, it seems fine all connected up. It does look a little broken but don think thats the problem as it was working fine before but now it doesnt. Little allen key nut, opened that because someone said let air out etc, tried it still gauge doesnt work, what else could it be?

Thanks

Solo

Aragorn
18-11-03, 06:33 PM
ok i have absolutley no idea which engine u have so lets just apply some general things

sounds like it aint got enough water in it

it takes about 4-5 litres

if there aint enough in the water temp sender wont be covered and prolly wont read anything

what u need to do is remove the sender nipple to let the air out and then add more water

on the left hand side of the inlet manifold on 1.0-1.4 carb and spi and round the back of the inlet on mpi models with a blue spade attached to it you should find said nipple :)

chenco
19-11-03, 12:50 AM
Your petrol gauge working, as it could be the fuse that control them. I know its unlikely but all i can think of and worth checking.

so1o
19-11-03, 05:43 AM
oppss sorry forgot to mention c20xe, fuel gauge is working just the temp one stopped working after the hose split

Topbuzz
30-11-03, 05:20 PM
Theres a little plug that connects on the engine where the rad pipe goes in,

There are temp sensors on the c20xe. One is the CTS (2-pin plug), this is for the ECU only. The other is the dash gauge temp sensor, 1-pin spade connection. Make sure the wire is conected, the spade connector not tarnished to much and is connected to the back of the sensor. If the temp gauge on the dash still dosn't work then

1) knacked temp sensor, renew
2) not enough water in the engine

> because someone said let air out etc,

there is no need to bleed the c20xe coolant system, its self bleeding. It does it via the coolant cap, my Nova GTE uses the same princible. If you remove the cap, look at the inside of it, you should see some holes. In the cap head is a spring and large plate. As the pressure builds up, its pushed this plate up which then releases air out to atmosphe by the small chanels on the cap its self (ie the knobly bits you grip hold of to undo the cap).

so1o
01-12-03, 05:53 AM
Thanks.

The spade connector was rusty, its sorted now.

Solo