PDA

View Full Version : slightly worrying smoke lol

dave.gsi
16-11-03, 08:20 PM
basically over the last few weeks every now and then i'd get a funny burning smell (abit like burnt rubber). it allways seemed to happen when the radio and heaters were on. so lately ive left the radio on low volume and switched the heaters off and switched to the cold side on the dial(feckin freezin lol). it seemed to cure the problem so i thought it was the heater frying itself.

anyway coming off the motorway today after a quick raz(heater and radio off) i stopped at the lights on the sliproad and the burning smell was pretty strong. then all of a sudden smoke started wafting out from the grill. not major like just a fine mist. by the time i'd kecked my pants and primed the fire extinguisher and got round to popping the bonnet there was nothing. nothing under the bonnet smoking or exessively hot or even smelling of the burning smell? the temp guage in the car was fine and the car drives as normal like nothing ever happened

where the hell do i start to find out what it is?

it only seems to do it after a good thrashing :roll:

Adam Moran
16-11-03, 10:33 PM
Was it raining or were the roads wet??

The reason i ask is when i used to drive my car in the wet when i stopped i used to get "smoke" (steam) coming off the rad and i always used to think "sh*t is that smoke?"

Mind you with the burning smells i would check the wiring on the blower.

Ad

techie
16-11-03, 11:26 PM
Could it be an oily smell?

Check the engine breather pipe going from the throttle body to the cam cover. Mine split on my old Nova and it smelt bad.

dave.gsi
16-11-03, 11:50 PM
roads were bone dry today. the burning smell came even though the heater was off so i think i'm ruling that out. it just seems to stink and smoke after a good thrashing

Dicko
17-11-03, 12:49 AM
surely u know the difference between oil smoke and electrical smoke :roll:

shabba16
17-11-03, 03:34 AM
electrical smoke burns ur nose when breathed in and oil smoke is well...........oil smoke :lol:

Jon_nova1
17-11-03, 03:53 AM
if it happen's after a thrashing it might be your clutch coming to an end

shabba16
17-11-03, 03:58 AM
hmm i was gonna say that but i did'nt wanna look like a chump , i almost burnt da clutch out on my mates pug 309 the other day lol :lol:

dave.gsi
17-11-03, 12:27 PM
surely u know the difference between oil smoke and electrical smoke :roll:

errm nope lol. never owned a car which has had either so couldnt tell you which it was. id say it was more likely oil than electrical

as for the clutch, i doubt its that cos it doesnt happen when in traffic when your on and off the clutch, only after a good raz on the motorway or dualcarridge way

Jon_nova1
17-11-03, 05:50 PM
it just seems to stink and smoke after a good thrashing

exactly :roll: . what does the clutch feel like when you push it down if it's that it will feel loose and you will only feel movement when the pedal's near the floor

dave.gsi
17-11-03, 08:03 PM
clutch feels fine, allways

shabba16
17-11-03, 08:09 PM
lol i think he would know if his clutch was fucked peeps , u know bye they way when u let it out it pulls off crap??? :arrow:

johnnynova
17-11-03, 08:50 PM
mate, i have the same thing recently, like burning scalextrix init? i asked my garage and they said sumtimes u get plastic and shit sticking to the exhaust pipe, so whenh i gets hot it melts it, looked under da car and behold, a carrier bag had somehow got caught on my downpipe (the horizontal bit) and was reealy melted, so i just go0ta weait for it all to melt away... the smell is only there now when i get out of the car! check your pipes!!

Gazza14SR
17-11-03, 10:07 PM
ive been gettin the same symtoms too, except my clutch is slippin like a bitch before/during/after a good thrashing so i think thats the problem!

But yesterday i checked the water and it was all brown bubberly shite, so i thought the headgasket had gone, gave the water a flush through and checked it earlier and seems fine at the minute.