PDA

View Full Version : brake pads, geen stuff or red stuff... or no stuff....

johnnynova
15-11-03, 05:07 PM
yeh which, just upgrading mine, or just get 16v discs and pads off a astar gte??? but there is a scarpped gte at the scrappy what brakes r they???

cheers

john

peester
15-11-03, 06:46 PM
gte brakes are standard nova diameter; just vented. astra gte brakes are bigger diameter and with caliper and pads make for better stopping power. so buy the astra gte discs, calipers and then go out and buy green stuff pads to suit astra gte. jobs a good'en. providing you need all that stopping power/looks.

MattyWoo
15-11-03, 06:57 PM
Don't go for redstuff unless its a track car imho. Red stuff pads are shite especially when they are cold, they are produced mainly for track use so they can withstand high temperatures. Green stuff or standard pads.

dave.gsi
15-11-03, 09:51 PM
greenstuff are only good for keeping your alloys clean.............low dust pads. i never noticed an improvement with them + ebc discs.

as for astra gte stuff you'll probably need 15in wheels

peester
15-11-03, 11:35 PM
greenstuff are only good for keeping your alloys clean.............low dust pads. i never noticed an improvement with them + ebc discs.

as for astra gte stuff you'll probably need 15in wheels

they do reduce dust thou?

Dicko
16-11-03, 12:44 PM
all depends what wheel are on your car to what i would recomend.

to be honest dont bother with performance pads if you have nova brakes. just fit standard 16v brakes if you can get them under your wheels and get used to them.

**safety warning***

wear your seat belt when you go out in the car after fitting 16v brakes we dont want any broken windscreens!!

James1
16-11-03, 01:32 PM
Unless you want to change your brake bads every 4 or 5 months then i would buy red stuff. Green stuff are just to soft for me. Thats on standard nova brakes.

Ste_Nova
16-11-03, 01:55 PM
green stuff are shit...

no dust... just shagged a set of disks!!

i just run genuine vaux stuff now..

brian
16-11-03, 02:22 PM
**safety warning***

wear your seat belt when you go out in the car after fitting 16v brakes we dont want any broken windscreens!!
LOL Dicko the difference 16v brakes isn't quite this good! i wish it was though.

As for red stuff pads they aren't totally for track use. they are a recommended pad upgrade for certain road cars.

Ste_Nova
16-11-03, 03:53 PM
As for red stuff pads they aren't totally for track use. they are a recommended pad upgrade for certain road cars.

yeh heavy tanks... like cavs :lol:

Dicko
16-11-03, 04:24 PM
brian try goin for a knackered set of 1.2 straight to 16v and also swap the sevo at the same time. i did hit my head as i didnt have seat belt on!!

James1
16-11-03, 04:40 PM
so your telling me that alot of you guys in your 1.6/2l's tipitoe round on green stuff pads. i have a 1.4 sr mk2 and i have set my brakes on fire a couple of time mind you i do drive like a tarmac rally driver. Left foot braking it great.

Ste_Nova
16-11-03, 05:05 PM
if your brakes are on fire then they ain't getting enough air

rgv_stu
16-11-03, 05:26 PM
well ive had ebc greenstuff and also run them in the bike, the sintered pads seem the best which i think is the red ones. green were crap.

on the car now i have reddot grooved discs and vaux pads, and theye been on about 2 years and are only half worn. they stop welll when i need them, i just dont use the brakes much as i tend to use the gearbox and the novas good cornering speed.

Barn
16-11-03, 07:14 PM
*EDIT*

Breeny
16-11-03, 07:44 PM
CP uses a combination of both green stuff/red stuff on his car. Dunno what the advantage is but I'm sure he'll come and explain all when he see's this :D

shabba16
17-11-03, 03:36 AM
red stuff :arrow:

benji
17-11-03, 09:58 PM
CP uses a combination of both green stuff/red stuff on his car. Dunno what the advantage is but I'm sure he'll come and explain all when he see's this :D

something to do with operating tempretures i presume

CP
19-11-03, 12:17 AM
:lol: PMSL

The red green combo was cos i had shagged the outside red pads. I had some part worn green stuff about so i whacked them on til I got a new set of red pads. I have a problem with oil being splattered on the inside of the discs which means that the pads dont work properly on the inside. This leads to the outside wearing like fook.

My opinion is green stuff arent much better than std although they are cleaner. Red stuff work fine for me on track - take about a lap to fully warm up. I get thru a set about everyother track day. The first lot i tried went thru the discs in one track day. I bought Hi spec discs which dont appear to wear at all with red stuff. For best results you should change pads and discs together and get them bedded in properly - new pads on worn discs and vice versa is a recipe for poor results and rapid wear.

I find left foot braking leads to unacceptably high wear and tear on the brakes so I dont bother with it.

Mark
19-11-03, 06:55 AM
We use red stuff on the rally car, only problem is that you have to complete 2 braking points before they get warm enough to stop you..

robb
19-11-03, 04:39 PM
I have a 1.4 sr with the newer astra *standard* alloys and the GTE brakes fit nicely underneath them, about 5mm gap. I have now done in excess of 6000 miles gone through 2 engines and the brakes have only just started to fade.

As for pads, I have std pads and they will go from 120 to 0 before you sh*t yourself and end up in a hedge, about 100ish metres and you're stopped. The only problem I have is that the tyres are'nt wide enough to provide enough grip and all joints wobbly (feels like bad ABS).

As suggested I will get new discs and pads at the same time and be ready for another 6000 miles of decellerating faster than accellerating

Ste_Nova
20-11-03, 09:48 AM
:I find left foot braking leads to unacceptably high wear and tear on the brakes so I dont bother with it.

how do the rears wear?

Aamir
20-11-03, 09:56 AM
gte brakes are standard nova diameter; just vented. astra gte brakes are bigger diameter and with caliper and pads make for better stopping power. so buy the astra gte discs, calipers and then go out and buy green stuff pads to suit astra gte. jobs a good'en. providing you need all that stopping power/looks.

I had no idea that Nova GTE are the same diameter as a standard Nova.
I'm thinking of a rear disc conversion, I've got a set of 1.2 Merit Calipers,
could I use them with Nova GTE discs on the Rear ?