PDA

View Full Version : Attention: New speed cameras in operation!

Jim
14-11-03, 03:44 PM
I just recieved this email at work...

Those new electronic signs on the M4 were switched on this Tuesday.
The bad news is that they are rigged with the SPECS speed cameras.
SPECS is a computer-camera based system. As you go past the sign a
Digital camera reads your number plate. When you go past the next sign your number plate is read again. The computer 'knows' how far apart the signs are so it can work out your average speed between the two, or three or four.

The system is fully automatic and will issue a ticket without any form of human intervention. It does this for every single vehicle that passes. You will not know you've been caught, as the cameras don't flash.

They work 24/7, 365 days a year, and theoretically, there's absolutely no limit on the number of tickets that the system can issue.

The whole section of the M4 between Theale (J12) and Membury Services (between 14 and 15) is wired, both ways. The system is set to trigger a ticket at 78 mph. Radar detectors will be of no use as SPECS is entirely passive, there is no radar or laser beam to detect.

Similar cameras have been set up along the main road through Northampton, so some of the regulars will already know how accurate these cameras are.

Jim

chenco
14-11-03, 04:40 PM
Woah, thats a clever system. I hadn't heard of these ones in northamton. My sister lives there but don't drive so she hasn't mentioned it. So even if you slow down for the sign, it doesn't matter coz it works out ur average speed right?

Will
14-11-03, 05:23 PM
ones in n'hampton measure over a mile there 2 sets of these and they do work, lucky first time i went there matt txt me just b4 i got to themn to warn me, lmfao

NovaNeil
14-11-03, 05:25 PM
A GPS based detector should pick them up shouldn't they? or are these none effective as well?

Ben
14-11-03, 06:10 PM
Yeah known about them for a while.

Stuart
14-11-03, 07:17 PM
its alleged that the same system is on the M4 from the bridge to bridge end. but ive not recieved a ticket... yet lmao

as jim said, its passive, so not even the gps ones will pick it up. appart from them saying "oh your here, btw there is an iffy stretch of road, behave" lol

?Marty?
15-11-03, 02:39 AM
They're working on having this system fitted inside 'cat eyes' in the road.

wisewood
15-11-03, 10:13 AM
This system has been in operation on a 4 mile stretch of road between Stocksbridge and the M1 between sheffield and manchester for about 18 months now.

It is amazing how slowly people drive through there now.

dave.gsi
15-11-03, 08:14 PM
i heard they were thinking of putting speed cameras in traffic lights. to catch you just as you speed up to make it through on orange

MattyWoo
15-11-03, 08:29 PM
i heard they were thinking of putting speed cameras in traffic lights. to catch you just as you speed up to make it through on orange

We've got them in Northampton as well.

But re: the speed cameras in Northampton, i know someone who was banned in a day, he had been driving for a few months and drove down the route with the distance measuring cameras. He obviously sped up in between them, then once he'd done what he had to do he drove back along the same road doing the same thing again. a few days later he had 6 points on his license and had lost it. On my way to work and back i have to go through them.

techie
15-11-03, 09:36 PM
And how carefully do we have to drive Matty?

With both of us living on the same stretch of the A43 we know all about digital camera's

Fester
15-11-03, 10:03 PM
this is getting totally gay

you can pretty much see the isle of man from here on a clear day, so i think i may fuck off in the future

Jim
16-11-03, 12:59 PM
this is getting totally gay

you can pretty much see the isle of man from here on a clear day, so i think i may fcuk off in the future

Tell me about it. Unrestricted zones :twisted:

Speed cameras are primarily there to reduce accidents. If you slow down and stick to the speed limit when you see speed camera signs then you don't have to worry about possibly losing your license. Or is that easier said than done?

Jim

Freak
16-11-03, 04:55 PM
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

read ths links carefully.... :roll:

THIS IS A HOAX

THEY ARE NOT SPECS CAMERAS ON THE M4..........

if i recieve this mail again or see another post by some muppet on a forum im gonna turn into a gibbering heap.......

I drive down the M4 between those junctions several times a week at 3/4am and at rather high speeds- i would have lost my licence many times over if this was genuine.....

There are cameras- but they are not speed enforcement cameras and NO tickets can be issued....to be specs there would have to be the infa red sights on them....which arent there.... :roll:

ffs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/3233169.stm :roll:
http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/ <-----5th article down :roll:
http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/ms4/03.htm :roll:

Cam--if there was a similar system on the bridge id have no licence either from my trips to work in cardiff at the weekends...
:roll: :x

Jim
16-11-03, 05:00 PM
How come people have replied saying they have known about them and that there are similar cameras elsewhere in the country?

Jim

Freak
16-11-03, 05:05 PM
Yes SPECS are active in several places in the country...notably M6, northampton and Gloucester (where i live). I am not disputing the existence of that type of camera at all-these are not of that type- one look atr them by anyone who has seen a SPECS type camera would confirm that

The whole mail you pasted about the M4 is bullshit and has been proven to be bullshit-they are not speed cameras at all.

S2 Ant
16-11-03, 05:05 PM
The original email thingy bout specs cameras is def a hoax... the only cams in place are those traffic master ones etc apparently and not speeding ones....

GPS camera thingys would register them tho if they were real....

dave.gsi
16-11-03, 07:04 PM
seen specs on the m6. dont even get that many cameras round here tbh

Dave
17-11-03, 01:36 PM
specs were trialed between cambridge and milton on the a14 last year the camera's were in the visable yellow like the speed camera's have to be, if they are blue they are just the traffic master camera's

Ste_Nova
17-11-03, 01:47 PM
specs

http://www.tinder.demon.co.uk/Newsletters/nl0801/specs.gif

trafficmaster

http://www.spy.org.uk/images/tmtm2l.jpg

CP
17-11-03, 02:57 PM
I've heard the police are trialling a brand new passive system thats totally undetectable in anyway whatsoever. Its already up and running all over the UK.
The P-ARA(noia) system operates by the authorities installing random camera shaped objects on the side of busy roads along with speed enforcement warnings. Thats all there is to it :lol:

The bastids are out to get me i just know it :lol: