PDA

View Full Version : Car Dying:(

so1o
11-11-03, 12:11 AM
Hi, im just curious as to what causes my car to die out. I just want to make sure its not leading to a bigger problem in the near future.

This is what happens.......turn key in ignition, car struggles to hold revs goes to slightly under 1000 revs and gradually dies out. Try it again and same thing happens but it doesnt die out, it fires up.

This has happened a couple of times now just want to make sure all is fine, nothing major?

rgv_stu
11-11-03, 09:12 AM
what engine is it?
if its a 1300/1400 with pierburg then its most prbably the autochoke which i wouldnt worry about

so1o
11-11-03, 10:55 AM
oh sorry forgot to mention it was a valver, c20xe

so1o
11-11-03, 06:16 PM
anyone else?not enough information from me or dont know?

Jim
11-11-03, 07:26 PM
Is this happening on cold mornings or when the car has been stood still for periods of time?

I don't know anything about the 2.0 engines, but my 1.4SR use to suffer from temporary carb freezing whilst driving in cold conditions (I had a K&N Bolt-on air filter at the time). The car would lose power so I would pull over and turn the ignition off. I'd wait a few minutes, then turn the ignition back on and the car would be fine (as the heat from the engine would un-freeze the carb). However, carrying on would only cause the same thing to happen.

The answer to this was to put the standard air bx back onto the car. Do you have a performance air filter? Perhaps put your standard one back on until the weather warms up.

Jim

Jules
11-11-03, 09:24 PM
The answer to this was to put the standard air bx back onto the car. Do you have a performance air filter? Perhaps put your standard one back on until the weather warms up.

Jim

Can you fit a standard airbox under the bonnet with a 2.0 XE wedged in? I thought you HAD to have a cone type filter because of room constraints?
:roll:

Aragorn
11-11-03, 09:51 PM
20xe also aint carb fed and its unlikely the injectors will freeze by the time the air has passed thru the heated throttlebody and inlet manifold

possibly your idle control valve is sticking - pop it out and give it a clean

so1o
12-11-03, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the replys.

Jim it happens at anytime, sometimes in the mornings it will run just fine, other times it wont. No guessing when its going to happen, after ive driven it for a while, come back to it a few hours later it happens.I reckon as you said could be something to do with the weather. I got a cavalier gsi the other day that has the standard airbox on it, might give it a try but as Jules mentioned im not to sure its going to fit as space does look very limited compared to the size of the box, will take a closer look.

Aragorn, yes been meaning to do that for a while now, never get round to it, how long do you think it would take to remove/clean/replace the ICV.