PDA

View Full Version : where can i get mahle pistons from

novashed
10-11-03, 09:48 PM
finally gettin myself sorted with 1.6 turbo lump, been weighing the pros and cons of TB's, 2ltr power or a turbo. decided on the turbo. probably going to be the most challenging but a few have done it off their own steam, ie neil robson

need to know where i can get hold of some mahle pistons and what size im looking for, lump i have could do with a rebore, finding it difficult trying to get my head around this compression ratio business, i know what its is but how do i work it out, i believe im looking for 10.5:1 for the turbo conversion

ANYONE?

Aragorn
10-11-03, 10:38 PM
only bit i know is the compression

turbo really needs at the very most 9:1 8 or 8.5:1 would be safer and allow you to use more boost

novashed
10-11-03, 10:55 PM
cheers dude anyone else??? :?:

BigRuss
10-11-03, 11:28 PM
FCUK ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10.5 compression and boost will all add up to a big bang and prob a hole in the side of your engine.

STD RS Turbo's and Cossies run at 8-1 compression, if You want to run big boost You should be looking at about 7.2 - 7.5-1 compression.

Don't know about Mahle pistons but I think You can still get Cosworth pistons for a nova, try them.

novashed
11-11-03, 12:21 AM
i was looking Dav's 1.6sr in the turbo feature section, i though that was high for a turbo, whats the CR of the E16SE as standard??

Dicko
11-11-03, 11:32 AM
about 10.5:1

Aragorn
11-11-03, 12:31 PM
haynes say 9.8 for e16 and 10 for c16

thats assuming the heads never been skimmed etc

geordie_racer
12-11-03, 02:28 AM
not sure bout mahle pistons but have you tried sbd as they do a range of low comp. pistons. as for the compression ratios alot of the 1600 turbos seem to be running boost around the 9-10 figure which i thought was high but some of them are running boost pressures of upto a bar or more without trouble. try pm chip as he is well up on turbos and will know about the cr

chris

NovaNeil
12-11-03, 12:30 PM
www.mahle.com

I ordered mine from a place called Stealth Racing. Any decent Tuner will have a Mahle catalogue and will be able to get some for you. Mine cost ?160 for 4 and included rings and gudgin pins. I think the size was 80.5mm as I have had a rebore. I just use the headgasket spacer and two head gaskets (which by any means isn't the best way to do a Turbo conversion) and I run 14psi quite happily. If I want to run higher boost the only option is low comp pistons but I got quoted ?160 each + VAT for some :o . But for the time being 14PSi = 185 lb's ft Torque = Lots of fun!!!!!!! And so far its been really reliable.......Shame my driving isn't :oops:

Stuart
12-11-03, 04:28 PM
going on how easy it is to fcuk up standard rover K series pistons (they are mahle) id avoid them (personally), and acrishitte.

then again for ?160 thats not bad, provided they are forged :D

novashed
12-11-03, 04:41 PM
cheers neil thats useful mate, just another Q, where did u get the spacer from and how thick was that, ive looked at SBD and they do thicker head gaskets would that be a better option or are they not thick enough, i think they go up to 2.0mm

beghy
12-11-03, 11:01 PM
www.mahle.com

I ordered mine from a place called Stealth Racing. Any decent Tuner will have a Mahle catalogue and will be able to get some for you. Mine cost ?160 for 4 and included rings and gudgin pins. I think the size was 80.5mm as I have had a rebore. I just use the headgasket spacer and two head gaskets (which by any means isn't the best way to do a Turbo conversion) and I run 14psi quite happily. If I want to run higher boost the only option is low comp pistons but I got quoted ?160 each + VAT for some :o . But for the time being 14PSi = 185 lb's ft Torque = Lots of fun!!!!!!! And so far its been really reliable.......Shame my driving isn't :oops:

Are ur Mahle pistons cast alu or forged?
If they are forged than thats a bloody good price!

NovaNeil
14-11-03, 12:22 PM
Forged Pistons for ?160 :o Behave! They are cast Alu ones, but produced to a high standard.

My head gasket spacer is from Courtenay and cost over ?100 (something to do with the fine machining thats needed to get it within tolerance limits).
Its roughly 1.5mm thick. Then I have a standard Vauxhall head gasket either side. Not sure how much it lowers the compression by. Good for up to 15psi before you get any problems......then you have to go to low comp pistons, or machine material out of the head.

novashed
14-11-03, 02:29 PM
sorry for all the Q's neil but where did you source your turbo from, seems that ill have to get hold of a secondhand t3 and use to it exchange for a recon item, the SBD gasket seems like it should do the job at 2mm thick??

NovaNeil
17-11-03, 12:24 PM
My engine started off life as one of the Courtenay converted 1.6's so the Turbo came from them.
With regard to the head gasket speak to someone from ATC (Angry Turbo Comapny)
www.angryturbo.co.uk They will be advise you with this matter. They may even be able to get you a Turbo.

Cheers

Neil