PDA

View Full Version : Wot Camshaft and head shud i use on my 1.6GTE engine??

NOVADOSE16
09-11-03, 09:46 PM
I have got a 1.6 GTE engine and i have it in pieces at the momemnt so i'm gonna change a few bits. i know that putting differant camshafts/heads in off differant engines makes it better but not sure.

I have got a complete 1.2SPi engine out of a corsa all mint so i can take the head or camshaft or both off that, wotever i need really.

and i can get hold of 1.4 nova bits so wot do u reckon i shud do with it, i don't want to mess with the bottom end coz i'm not taking that apart just the top half, so wot do u guys reckon.

I'm mainly looking for acceleration, coz u hardly ever get to see the top speed anyway!!

any help appreciated

Jim
09-11-03, 09:58 PM
Stick with your Gte head. Putting a 1.2 or 1.4 head on will upset the compression ratio.

Camshaft: Probably a Piper 275 if your not planning any other mods.

Jim

NOVADOSE16
09-11-03, 10:32 PM
but i thought it woz supposed to make it quicker??? i have read everywhere, plus i am doing this on a very tight budget lol :(

Jim
09-11-03, 10:37 PM
The 1.2 head on a 1.4 works well, but the 1.6 head is better than the 1.2 and 1.4 heads so stick with it. I may be wrong, but I'm running a 1.6 head on a 1.6 bottom end and I've never heard of anyone putting a 1.2 or 1.4 head on a 1.6 bottom end.

If you want to make your car quicker on a limited budget, then strip your car down to the bear essentials. Take out your back seats, door cards, speakers, carpet, spare wheel, etc. Lose as much weight as possible and your car will be instantly quicker for the price of ?0.

Jim

NOVADOSE16
09-11-03, 10:41 PM
naah definately not gonna do that, i like all the luxerys like carpet, lol.

hmmm..... any other peoples opinions???

Stuart
09-11-03, 10:46 PM
Stick with your Gte head. Putting a 1.2 or 1.4 head on will upset the compression ratio.

Camshaft: Probably a Piper 275 if your not planning any other mods.

same opinion different person.

Dan
09-11-03, 10:50 PM
sorry mate but as far as i know jim is correct as he has put what i would as a reply. You can fiddle with tha standard 1.6 gte bits and bobs to get some little extra ponies from it by looking at the guide at the very top of this forum.

For acceleration look into change the crown wheel and pinion in the gearbox. You prob have a 3.74 and a 4.18 would make a nice difference to acceleration. I found my crown wheel and pinion in an old sr gearbox

NOVADOSE16
09-11-03, 10:55 PM
don't fancy pulling the gearbox apart, i ain't that clever. any other tricks i can do to it to make it move a bit quicker?

And is there a thread on here anywhere with some pics of GTE engines, coz i wanna get some bits on mine powder coated in blue(coulor of me car) but i just wanna see wot other people have done?

Cheers guys :D

Dan
09-11-03, 11:02 PM
http://www2.novaload.net/files/dan/engine2.jpg

I did mine in the kinda clean looking style

geordie_racer
10-11-03, 01:40 AM
only change ive heard of with a 1600 head is putting the 1.6 16v head onto a 1.4 16v but that doesnt help you. best option if your looking to only adjust the head i would say is to go to twin 40's or another carb adn keep your gte head and setup. if your looking for an aftermarket cam then you've aready been told if not then a 1.4sr cam is the best of the standard cams

chris

MC
11-11-03, 11:52 AM
The 1.2spi head is about the worst head that Vauxhall made. It has small square ports and small valves. The stupidly high compression that you will get will gain some more power (before it self destructs) but you are unlikely to be able to turn the engine off.

The 1.4sr head suffers similar problems, although the valve size will be slightly higher. The 1.4sri head is almost the same as the GTE head, so no gain there.

Best ways to gain some performance is to ensure everything works properly, like making sure the throttle opens 100%, and that you have good condition plugs leads etc.... Read the guide.

MC