PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!

lightweight racer
07-11-03, 07:45 AM
Hi every1.

I am in need of an Industrial placement for my gap year from uni. Does anybody know of any Nova-based companies that maybe able to take me on for 9 months? I'd like it to be Nova based so i'll at least be a little interested in what i'm doing!! :roll:

BTW i'm doing BEng Automotive Engineering @ Hertfordshire Uni
Thanks guys (and gurls)

Lee

Stuart
07-11-03, 01:31 PM
contact Visteon, granted they deal mostly with ford, But your placement should reflect your carear progression ideas, ie designing parts etc

i guess you could try vauxhall at luton, but they are a bit hit and miss when it comes to under/post grads.

A friend of mine is/was at Herts doing your course and he went to TVR and was doing R&D with the tamora (nice huh lol)

So bassically my advice would be to not go for a "tuning" company as such, unless its coswroth etc, because your "supposed" to be looking to the future and not so much at making a 15yr old car faster lol.

keep that as a hobby ;)

oh and trying to get an automotive based job after you graduate is a slut, unless you have a 2:1 or better (ford wont touch you unless you have a 2:! or better as they are gimps lol)

Alex
07-11-03, 01:36 PM
trying to get nearly any job after graduation is a bastard

lightweight racer
07-11-03, 08:16 PM
Cheers guys

Am looking for any sort of placement at the mo. Just need 1 to get "an accredited degree" and to earn some money to spend on the Nova! :lol:

Cambridge what was ur mates name? Some1 i no has just finished at TVR but TVR didn't want me :(

Some1 else has gone to a hillclimb team (Force racing), lucky fecker...

But i am stil without. Any1 on here run a business (rallying novas or some1 connected with Regal/Courtenay? They must have an R&D team of sorts??
Just wanted to do Novas so i learn something USEFULL rather than Fourier series and propeties of sand cooled streel etc etc learnt at uni :x

Thanks

locky
07-11-03, 08:25 PM
Thing is m8, if u just stick to novas, yeah its interesting, but limited!
I'd suggest looking into all sorts of cars! youll have a larger (cant think of word) of other types of cars then, rather than just 1!
I'v never been in your position btw!

Stuart
07-11-03, 09:11 PM
locky the word you were after is knolwedge (and i cant spell)

my mates is Ben Thompson (i think lol, we just called him bent)

Locky is right, and as far as fourier series and sand cooled steel, they are pretty damn useful to be perfectly honest. I know its sounds stupid to say that things like that are intresting, but its true. All the little bits of what you think are crap info, will help you 10fold in the "workplace"

for an R&D department, try Fords Diesel plant (yes ford and diesel), they ahve some pretty impressive stuff happening there, my mate with 2 degrees is working there and hes got it sorted lol.

also try TWR (not a typo) they make a lot of OEM kit much like visteon do, for the general automotive trade.

as for motorsport, you area aware that your only say 30 miles from the F1 epicenter dont you lol its all round silversonte and northampton.

get a copy of the autosport directory (usually with CCC but they arent in existence so try the autosport mag), its the yellow pages of the motorsport world. full of useful contacts. Oh and last resort try Prodrive Automotive (NOT motorsport) as automotive happen to do more motorsport than "motorsport" do lol.

dave.gsi
07-11-03, 10:24 PM
trying to get nearly any job after graduation is a ba***d

tell me about it. i havent found one job worth even applying for yet :?

Alex
07-11-03, 11:38 PM
ive applied to near 50 jobs and still nothing :lol:

?Marty?
08-11-03, 01:42 AM
Me too! Got a degree, and i'm stuck working as a restaurant manager. It sucks, but no one else wants me. lol

locky
08-11-03, 09:32 AM
get a copy of the autosport directory (usually with CCC but they arent in existence so try the autosport mag), its the yellow pages of the motorsport world. full of useful contacts. Oh and last resort try Prodrive Automotive (NOT motorsport) as automotive happen to do more motorsport than "motorsport" do lol.

Yeah its at the back of autosport!
Theres lots of jobs like fitter need ed for a formula 300 team e.t.c, then drool over the motorsport prepped cars on the near pages lol!
mmmmmm 911 touring car......

lightweight racer
10-11-03, 07:55 PM
Cheers guys- will go and get autosport 2morrow.

Good luck 2 any1 else looking for a job and i'll let u no how it all goes

Lee

dave.gsi
11-11-03, 12:35 PM
Me too! Got a degree, and i'm stuck working as a restaurant manager. It sucks, but no one else wants me. lol

think yourself lucky, i'm washing dishes and serving dinners in a hospital full of sick people :|

RJM25R
13-11-03, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I'm 30, BSc Electronics and Electical Engineering and work as a sales manager for a furniture company!!

They pay me ?28,000 a year, but to work in maintenance and design, nobody will pay more then ?16,000!

Go figure!!!!!

Ste_Nova
13-11-03, 11:55 AM

think yourself lucky, i'm washing dishes and serving dinners in a hospital full of sick people :|

nothing wrong with nurses :lol:

dave.gsi
13-11-03, 12:13 PM
that is a bonus lol