PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 Cam advice needed

Ste_Nova
06-11-03, 03:41 PM
right i picked up all the parts to do my head gasket at lunch time all genuine vaux stuff and all new bolts etc

but... the cam in the engine has done 200k+ miles and has suffered after snapped followered etc and shit oil

should i replace it? and what with? also can you mic up the cam when it's out to check wear? if so how?

Will
06-11-03, 04:12 PM
piper 285 :P

dan and cp have cams for sale currently

Stuart
06-11-03, 04:30 PM
i belive Wills specially ground, round, cam and followers is ontop of CP's scrap heap still lol

to check for wear run your finger over the surface and if its "rough" then its a little iffy, and also check for side ridges, much like on a brake disc when its getting on a bit :)

Ste_Nova
06-11-03, 04:53 PM
the cam has lumps missing.... and a few chips on the edges of the lobes

CP
06-11-03, 07:34 PM
Bin it unless you are desperate to save money. You can replace with a std 1.4 NV which has best lift IIRC. There's no point mic'ing it up unless you have it all back together and you measure the lift at the valve head. Generally a worn cam has a definite lip at the sides of the tip. otherwise go the usual aftermarket route which are getting on for nearly double the lift even in the 275 form but pricey

Ste_Nova
07-11-03, 09:42 AM
the cam will deffo be binned.... the engine has never been as fast as when i first got it, strugles to get over 100mph in 5th... not free reving at all...

so you think a brand new 14nv can and rockers will be best cp?
whats the cost of one compaired to an uprated one