View Full Version : Maddest 1600 8v GTE?

Stanton
05-11-03, 08:46 PM
wots the maddest 8v gte?

i thinkin throttle bodies etc for mine.

ne 1 got a spec on the maddest engined one so i can beat it?

:evil:

epo
05-11-03, 08:52 PM
i think theres a lad on here with a gte turbo

Stanton
05-11-03, 08:59 PM
nah, n/a specs

huge revs is wot i want

Jim
05-11-03, 09:01 PM
Well, the quickest n/a 1.6 8v is Dans as far as I know. He ran a 14.9 at Santa Pod. Take a look on the Gte features page and look for Dan Redmonds Silver Gte to get a list of specs.

Jim

epo
05-11-03, 09:08 PM
oh yeah i forgot about dans car

Stanton
05-11-03, 09:10 PM
cant find it is it dan, s nova GTE?

Stanton
05-11-03, 09:12 PM
ok found it

nice lookin car aswell,

1650 Rebore/hone block, Pistons, Ground crank, Main bearings, Big-end bearings,Full dynamic engine balance, Lightened flywheel, Faced flywheel, Skimmed block face, Oil pump, Water pump, All gaskets. Blydenstien b+ head,heat wrapped zorst manifold, Helix paddle clutch and cover, kent ast2 cam springs tappets etc etc, twin forties, piper exhaust system, 1.4 sr dizzy/coil, plugs, leads blah blah blah

yep whats planned 4 mine plus throttle bodies, but without the rebore.

jkhilton
05-11-03, 09:21 PM
I can't wait till next year when all the 1.6's are ready for a little drag strip and track action!

Jim
05-11-03, 09:33 PM
Yeah John,

it's going to be an intresting year :)

Jim

peester
05-11-03, 09:42 PM
ill try and join the fun - my mate has just had his pug *cough*shit*cough* 106 GTi have ?2500 worth of engine mods, down the local french car tuners - they're claiming near 200 brake! *bollocks* but im hoping to show him up with velos' recomendation of Jenveys and DTA on my GS ayyyyyyye. we'll see.

Stanton
05-11-03, 10:24 PM
looks like itll b the sorted 1600s against the valva boys,

i rekon a well worked 8v cud keep up with a stdish valva

bring it on! :evil:

Jim
05-11-03, 10:28 PM
i rekon a well worked 8v cud keep up with a stdish valva

My 1.6 8v on 40's could keep ahead of a Standard 2.0 16v Nova. From standing start up to about 80mph the Valver couldn't get past. It's only when the speed starts reaching upto and over 90mph that the Valver pulled away.

Jim

jkhilton
05-11-03, 10:30 PM
was that against mikes???? that day that we followed you back form autoxs back to yours, I was shocked at how much faster your car felt than mikes.

Stanton
05-11-03, 10:31 PM
looks like itll be a gud compo on the strip. valvas Vs 8vs

thud (as gauntlet is thrown down)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :twisted:

C20LETmini
05-11-03, 10:40 PM
sorry 8v 1600 doesn't cut it againsta 2litre 16v, try racing the one I have just built, and see which one gets a away quicker.

0 to 60 on the ollers was something stupid like 3.91 seconds, in reality its more like, 5 flat.

Its nothing special, valver, decent valve and ring seal, set of 45's set up properly, and no weight and proper suspension.

does the job everytime.

Rich

jkhilton
05-11-03, 10:55 PM
RS did say against a stdish nova and Mikes 2.0 16v was standard engine aswell. If you are talking about going up against a valver on throttle bodies or twin carbs then I doubt the 1.6 would stand a chance, unless the valver couldn't get grip!!

Stuart
05-11-03, 11:04 PM
Also a note that in my opinion Dans car was a lot quicker on the uptake than a standard 2.0l 16v, i was far more impressed by going in this car than i was in a valver.

oh and prove your times mate

Dan
05-11-03, 11:14 PM
i'll just add that for those that dont know, ben did actually own a valver to make a comparison against

nova---chris
06-11-03, 12:26 AM
i await the 8 valve challenge next year! 8)

Slatter
06-11-03, 12:38 AM
ive already said if i can find a suitable shell and a few pennys for an engine then im gonna be joining in :lol: :lol:

Jim
06-11-03, 09:29 AM
was that against mikes???? that day that we followed you back form autoxs back to yours, I was shocked at how much faster your car felt than mikes.

Yeah John, I was referring to that moment.

sorry 8v 1600 doesn't cut it againsta 2litre 16v, try racing the one I have just built, and see which one gets a away quicker.

Its nothing special, valver, decent valve and ring seal, set of 45's set up properly, and no weight and proper suspension.

I didn't say anything about a tuned Valver, I said Standard Valver. The quote above by jkhilton was referring to a time when a friend of mine in his Standard Valver was following me back to his house. He had a stripped interior with Bucket seats whereas I had a full SR interior. Ok, there were 2 people in his car, but from a standing start going slightly uphill I was able to get ahead and maintain that lead. I got to about 80mph before I had to start braking for the next roundabout. When we got back to my house, the owner of the valver commented that he was impressed with my car and couldn't catch me.

I'm not the sort of person to bull***t and I waited before my frined left in his Valver before I asked JK how hard he was trying. JK said he was pushing his valver and couldn't catch me.

I've no doubt a Tuned Valver on carbs/throttle bodies will destroy me, but I'll have a go at keeping up with you all ;)

Jim

Stanton
06-11-03, 12:04 PM
granted a valver with tuned induction wud slaughter even the best 1600, yet a std valver wud have probs keepin up withy a sorted 1600.

i wanna go the 1600 route and be different, every1 seems to jus drop avalver in and not bother with the 1600 8v.

old skool power! 8)

mikeyredtop
06-11-03, 12:32 PM
ive got the best of both worlds, a valva, and a gsi, :lol:

peester
07-11-03, 11:44 PM
granted a valver with tuned induction wud slaughter even the best 1600, yet a std valver wud have probs keepin up withy a sorted 1600.

i wanna go the 1600 route and be different, every1 seems to jus drop avalver in and not bother with the 1600 8v.

old skool power! 8)

spot on man. though one good thing about people abandoning 1.6 8v lumps is it gives those who have spent and styled their 1.2's,1.3's etc a chance to inject affordable power into their nov's by picking up the unwanted 1600's.

Stanton
07-11-03, 11:56 PM
spot on man. though one good thing about people abandoning 1.6 8v lumps is it gives those who have spent and styled their 1.2's,1.3's etc a chance to inject affordable power into their nov's by picking up the unwanted 1600's.

tru tru, also leaves space for idividuality. id rather have an unusual set up of a heavily modded 1600 than a run of the mill valver.

also anyone with an irmscher quad light grille give me a pm if u wanna sell it.

BigRuss
08-11-03, 10:55 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh the great debate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am running a proper 1600 8v Bowyer engine with 45's MBE etc etc....

I will be taking it to Santa pod some time next year, hopefully on an organised novaload day. Straight lines are not really My thing but I am more than interested to see what My Nova/I am capable of.

There are lot's of pro's and con's with this debate, weight, gearing (Really important) tyres etc etc......

But above all else, When the flag drops the bull shit stop's!!!!!!

Bring it on :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

peester
09-11-03, 12:06 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh the great debate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am running a proper 1600 8v Bowyer engine with 45's MBE etc etc....

whats bowyer engine and have come youre carbs have been knighted..?!

Jim
09-11-03, 01:29 PM
BigRuss,

Looking forward to seeing your car, I've seen a few posts regarding it.

Did you run with twin 40's before you got twin 45's? If so, is there much of a difference between the 40's and 45s? Sounds like a stupid question, but I heard there isnt that much to be gained by going for the 45's. I know you've probably got a lot of other mods that work well with the 45's but any info would be great.

Cheers

Jim

Dan
09-11-03, 02:15 PM
defo be good to see what russ's car can do. should wipe the floor with us lol with a bowyer motored rally car :D , esp with added bonus of kevlar panels etc due to massive weight savings if you get round to doing em.

Agreed with the curiosity of 45's, what kinda chokes and main jets etc do you run, off top of my head i got 34mm chokes and 145 mains

Ben
09-11-03, 03:13 PM
Ive got plans for my 1600 8v and it might be done next year depends on how much my holiday costs me :lol:

But its completely different to any of the others :!:

Will
09-11-03, 05:37 PM
same here ben ;)

BigRuss
09-11-03, 10:20 PM
I can't remember exactly what size chokes and mains I am running so I will not quote till I actually check, I'll let You know tomorrow.

I've sorted Kevlar doors but My navigator doesn't feel happy with the thought of a Kevlar roof (POOF!!!!!!!!)

It'll be good to get together next year for a proper blast, as I said previously I'll def be there if we all plan a novaload day/meet at santa pod. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jim
09-11-03, 10:31 PM
Cool Russ,

look forward to meeting you. I know theres a Novaload vs RoyBacer day at Santa Pod planned. Just make sure your on the Novaload team ;)

Jim