PDA

View Full Version : Serious Advice...

Neil.
05-11-03, 01:39 AM
Got this off another site, but thought it was good advice...

I know this is alot to read - but could get you out of a situation!!

This actually happened to someone's daughter. Lauren was 19 yrs old and
in college. This story takes place over the Christmas/New Year's holiday break.
It was the Saturday before New Year and it was about 1.00 pm in the
afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police car
pulled up behind her and put its lights on. Lauren's parents have 4 children
(of various ages) and have always told them never to pull over for an
unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a service station, etc.

So Lauren had actually listened to her parents' advice, and promptly
called No. 112 on her mobile phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would
not pull over right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an
unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her.
The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and
there wasn't and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had
back-up already on the way.

Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground.........the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.

I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a
car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparently police have to
respect your right to keep going to a "safe" place. You obviously need to make
some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e., put on your hazard lights) or
call No. 112 like Lauren did. Too bad the cell phone companies don't give
you this little bit of wonderful information.

So now it's your turn to let your friends know about No. 112. This is good information
that I did not know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

999 is the emergency services.... apparently the 112 number takes you
straight to dispatch who can track the marked and unmarked police cars....
999 wouldn't be able to be as quick or knowledgeable.... they probably
also wouldn't know what to do if you called them and questioned them about the
car following you!!
-------------------------------------------------------

I know 112 and 999 in some counties take u to the same place so dont blame me for anything said in that!

elsey197
05-11-03, 01:44 AM
good advice, but from next month its against the law to use your phone in the car, so if it is the police following you they could do you for using your phone while driving :!:

Neil.
05-11-03, 01:47 AM
good point batman!

elsey197
05-11-03, 01:58 AM
OK Robin :D

jkhilton
05-11-03, 03:48 AM
got this in an email a couple of months ago, except it was an american girl in that one.

NoVa_KhAn
05-11-03, 03:56 AM
some people are very sick in there head and need shooting!!!

very good info mate

Dicko
05-11-03, 04:20 AM
would get this checked out. 112 was originally designed incase the 9 button on your fone just happens to be broken. Then mobile vendors picked up on the idea that they can use it for emergency calls whilst the keylock is still activated. you can dial 999 with a locked keypad, but you can dial 112.
As far as i know 112 still takes you through to emergency services, but a different office to normal where you can also be directly connected to mountain rescue or the coastguard unlike 999.

Jim
05-11-03, 09:22 AM
112 takes you through to the Emergency services, I know this because I've accidently called it a couple of times when trying to call an extension number at work. Out of habit I press 9 (which gets you to an outside line) then I pressed the 112 extension number...oops :oops:

Jim

Rusty 16v
05-11-03, 11:39 AM
112 is the international emergency services number, I assume it is the same in every country

Rusty 16v
05-11-03, 12:37 PM
Hmmmmm.... for what it's worth... that is a true story... but 112 is not the number that was used:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/fakecop.htm

wisewood
05-11-03, 12:47 PM
Hmmmmm.... for what it's worth... that is a true story... but 112 is not the number that was used:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/fakecop.htm

lmfao - funny you should say that it is a ture story coz thats not what the website says that you just linked to.

We
have no way of telling if this is an "actual true story and not one of those Internet stories that are passed on and on" — the details given in the account aren't sufficient to assist us in confirming the tale, and searches through online news databases based on what little is included (that the incident happened in Virginia in the last week of December 2001) don't fetch any articles about an arrest made or charges laid in such a case. And some of the details in the story give us pause: Why didn't the fleeing woman speed up, flash her lights, or honk her horn to attract the attention of the police car in front of her? And how did the real police car fail to notice the warning lights of the phony, unmarked police car?

Whether this particular tale is true or not, women driving alone have been sexually assaulted by rapists pretending to be police officers, so the advice it gives (to not pull over in deserted areas when signaled to do so by an unmarked police vehicle) is well worth heeding. Keep driving until you get to a well-lit area where there are others about. Call 911 and tell them what's happening. (Although in at least in some U.S. states, #77 on a cell phone will immediately connect you to that state's highway patrol, that code is not universal. Some states use #77, but others use *55, *47, or *HP, and some don't have any special code at all. Rather than frantically try to figure out which one will work in the area you're in, get around the problem by going straight to 911.)

The instance of rapists and murderers pretending to be police officers is not of epidemic proportions, but enough incidents of this nature have occurred that precautions are warranted.

Rusty 16v
05-11-03, 01:18 PM
Claim: Rapists sometimes lure their victims by posing as police officers and initiating traffic stops.

The bit you posted was one of the variations that goes round, the original story is, however, true.

I am right, and you are wrong, ner ner na ner ner http://wilsonc001.members.easyspace.com/forum/emoticons/nana.gif

:mrgreen:

Ste_Nova
05-11-03, 01:34 PM
as soon as a copper blue lights me i do an emergency stop :P

then dive out of the car before they get their belt off

wisewood
05-11-03, 02:28 PM
no mate the site is one big contradiction - it says it is true and not true in the same page to cover itself. simple as that - if you read the quote properly you will see if it actually stating things about the story you linked to... and not a variation.

I AM RIGHT you are WRONG ner nerr n nerr NERRRR!!

Rusty 16v
05-11-03, 02:58 PM
Hmmm yes, that does appear to be the case.... maybe they originally published it un-clarified (as quiet a few things on there are) and were since able to flag it as real?

Tis a mystery :lol:

epo
05-11-03, 07:25 PM
got pulled by an unmarked police car last year had loads of blue lights on his car a load of me mates drove past (while he was bollockin me 4 speedin :oops:) pissin themselves laughin

srs1
05-11-03, 09:01 PM
i got done one day, breathalised and all.
i had just split with the mrs and she was driving past with her olds in the car. not like they couldn't notice the flashing blue lights. :oops: :oops:

?Marty?
06-11-03, 12:09 AM
as soon as a copper blue lights me i do an emergency stop

lol i do that too. Though i normally kick my door open, then get out and repeately say 'for fuck sake' until i get in and drive off again.

dan_mk1
06-11-03, 04:58 PM
as soon as a copper blue lights me i do an emergency stop

lol i do that too. Though i normally kick my door open, then get out and repeately say 'for fcuk sake' until i get in and drive off again.

LMFAO!!

iv been pulled by undercovers at about 3 in the morning for doing 80 in a 40, i said to them i thought you was following me so i sped up! they checked my tyres, tax and was on their way! lol

srs1
06-11-03, 05:58 PM
talked to a lad in work today. his mate is a copper, he said that most cops dont have the insurance to do you for speeding and dont have the equipment either. so theres a copper out there who speeds like mad and overtakes them all the time. he also has 9 points. at last a copper that abuses the system. lol