PDA

View Full Version : Valve Grinding

elsey197
04-11-03, 01:24 PM
Ive got a new (unused) B+ head to go on my car when i do the head gasket, but the person who orginally bought it didn't have the vavles ginded in. Is this hard to do and are there any guides showing how to and how much to do it by?

I no i need to get a valve grinding kit, which has some sort of grinding paste and a stick

Ste_Nova
04-11-03, 01:26 PM
use the paste and some fuel line... 2 jublee clips and a metal rod in a battery drill

elsey197
04-11-03, 01:38 PM
How do know when to stop? has the bottom of the valve go to be flush with the bottom of the head?

rgv_stu
04-11-03, 02:05 PM
no
just till the contact patch is about 2mm and even grey dull finish

mikeyredtop
04-11-03, 02:13 PM
u can check the valve's for leaks by turning the head upside down with the valves and spark plugs in, then pour fuel or similar liquid in the combustion chamber if it pisses out more lapping is needed...

Will
04-11-03, 02:18 PM
give me your B+ head

:P

how much did u pick it up for elsey?

elsey197
04-11-03, 02:19 PM
no
just till the contact patch is about 2mm and even grey dull finish

Contact patch :?: is this where the top of the valve touchest the bottom of the head?

Will
04-11-03, 02:21 PM
no need to worry abt all that im having it :P

p.s. wot does a B+ head entail any info?

wot work is done..........

elsey197
04-11-03, 02:40 PM
give me your B+ head

:P

how much did u pick it up for elsey?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Erm No :wink:

I got it with a piper cam kit and vernie pulley for ?370 :)

Will
04-11-03, 03:05 PM
all brand new?

god price well done, i have a new piper cam and verneir pulley, mine is blue is urs blue or red :P

tell me wot work is done on B+ head :P

elsey197
04-11-03, 03:13 PM
Yep all new :D No mine is red :P

Ive got all the litriture bill sends you with the head, i will look and see what the b+ head invovles, i no it has bigger vavles as you can see the diff compared to the standard ones.

elsey197
04-11-03, 04:00 PM
Can any one tell if the valves have already been grinded in from this pic?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/470730/head1.JPG

rgv_stu
04-11-03, 09:03 PM
yeah it looks as though its allready been done
i would presume BB does them when he fits / machines the larger valves / seats

what head is that on ?? 1300 ??
got any more piccies ??

CP
04-11-03, 10:55 PM
They just need seating - Bill charges extra to do it.

Do as Ste says - drill onto valve stem - lubricate valve stem first so it turns easily in the guide. The grinding paste comes in little tins- fine one side - coarse the other.
Use a little of the coarse but thin it by adding a drop or 2 of parrafin and smear onto valve seating area as you lap them in. Keep reversing the direction of turning and repeatedly lift/ push the valve off the seat and then re seat whilst keeping the valve rotating. It wont take a lot and the coarse paste tuens fine as you use it. You will see that a dark/dull grey area appears on the seat and the valve. When this is about a couple of mm wide and uniform in appearance across its width they are correctly lapped in.

When you put the valve springs in use a valve spring compressor. Make sure you give each spring a smart rap with a copper mallet when you have taken the compressor off so the collets seat properly.

Dicko
05-11-03, 01:09 AM
will - the b+ has worked inlet portsm worked exhaust ports, and a big valve conversion!! not sure how much he skims off the bottom though. probly an absolute minimum

Will
05-11-03, 12:54 PM
how much difference do the bigger valves make? if everyting id done except big valves will i be losing out?

will

CP
06-11-03, 08:12 PM
Loads of difference. If you are looking to extract really good power you will need to do it really as smaller valves are a major restraint to improved airflow