PDA

View Full Version : Rear Disc Conversion using M-Tech conversion kit

NovaNeil
02-11-03, 11:37 AM
Just ordered a M-Tech conversion kit (from PVD ?99) to convert the Nova rear beam to run the disc set up from an Astra. I was just wondering if any else has used this kit and whats it like to fit?

Thought about doing a self conversion but haven't got time to mess about with the work that is required.

Also what Discs do people use? Shall I just opt for a cheap ?35 set from Halfords? Or is there cheaper available else where.......Same question for Pads too.

cheers

Neil

srs1
02-11-03, 12:43 PM
i got combi discs and braided hoses for ?110 from www.raldes.co.uk
has a good range of cheap discs in there.

Mark
02-11-03, 01:01 PM
Make sure you take some pics of the kit when you get it.

rgv_stu
02-11-03, 06:42 PM
what the hell do you get for ?99 ??

Ben
02-11-03, 07:02 PM
?99?

You only need two plates.

beatin u
02-11-03, 08:06 PM
for ?99 you could have bought a cavy axle with everything on it you need. calipers, hubs etc...

Ben
02-11-03, 10:29 PM
you could buy the complete rear beam for ?50

novashed
05-11-03, 11:29 AM
i can see where neil is coming from in getting the kit, everthing is cut and machined neatly and you get an adapter for the handbrake cables, saves messing about with washers etc, i was thinking about getting the kit, depends if ur loaded really :)

Ste_Nova
05-11-03, 01:35 PM
washers? wtf?

Rick Draper
05-11-03, 01:40 PM
I brought the ********* rear disk conversion kit, it was wank, the hand brake hardly worked due to the way they went about doing the hand brake cable and the only good bit was the spacer plates. Now i am replacing the hand brake cable off certain vaux cars to make the hand brake work. TBH from the pic i have seen of the PVD setup its almost exactly the same as the ********* one so expect to have similar problems.

Rick

PS what washers are needed? Care to elaborate.

Ste_Nova
05-11-03, 01:47 PM
i'd prefer to use the full astra mk2 setup...

inc the astra handle in the car.. and the astra 2 cable collector welded to the underneath

Dicko
05-11-03, 02:37 PM
i prfer that aswell ste, if your gonna fit it :P

craig green
05-11-03, 03:43 PM
I know there is a guide in the modificatin section but why dont one of you post up a guide that is totally in depth and accurate. Ive got the whole Astra rear beam at home & I cant be bothered to start it for fear of my car being on axle stands for 11nhalf months while I do something that should take an afternoon. If a guide mentioned QH cable part#s & explained how to lower the stub axles aswell. wot about if the track of the car is widened? how much?
Anyone seen on Mark Beesons car?, just to be different he's mounted the calipers forward of the wheel centre! DRUMS SUCK

beatin u
05-11-03, 04:51 PM
there was a good guide on http://www.corsasport.co.uk
in a thread. dont think it tells you how to do the handbrake tho

rgv_stu
05-11-03, 05:06 PM
the cable is probably the hardest part. its fairly straightforward tbh

Ste_Nova
05-11-03, 09:07 PM
I cant be bothered to start it for fear of my car being on axle stands for 11nhalf months while I do something that should take an afternoon.

get a spare axle from the scrappy... build that one up.. then just swap it over

C20LETmini
05-11-03, 10:24 PM
the converson is very simple, no parts are needs to be bought new everything can be got from an cav with rear discs, or an astra GTE 16v rear beam.

first take out nova beam cut of the square spacer plates, do the same to the astra beam. mike up on the nova beam and weld the spacer plates on so that you can get the top two bolts in they are very close to the edges.

once these are affixed use the astra brake hoses bend and twist to suit and use the clips provided on the nova beam and use the rubber to hold brake pipe from rubbing.

from there bolt the beam back into the car, go to the front and swap the bias valves for some cav/astra rear discs ones, NON ABS, these are located on the master cylinder.

bleed the brakes.

now for the handbrake cable, using the MK2 astra cable is just a gash idea, loads of unessecary cable under the car, swopping handbrakes etc.

ok, use the std nova cable, and connect it all up you will discover the locater on thfloor its about 3 inches to far foward. I made up a tube and brake and welded it in all was perfect, straight through MOT using all standard vauxhall parts.

conversion cost= nowt
trev+town centre value= alot
bar horsepower= atleast another 45 ...