PDA

View Full Version : BHP readout

Paul
31-10-03, 06:20 PM
I have just got my 1990 90k 1400sr back from an engine tuning place.

I had a flowed head, wills old one.

Piper 270 cam, wills old one.

Webber twin choke 32/34 carb put on therealso K & N bolt on filter and straight through exhaust.

Had it all fitted and they BHP readout- 82BHP.

I was expecting at least 90????

Do you think 82BHP is a low reading?

Will who had basically the same setup got 87BHP at Velos, ansd even after that he made his car run better...

Any ideas?

Paul

Ben
31-10-03, 06:38 PM
I would say 82BHP is a good readout for those mods.

Cam may gain you a few BHP

Gas flowed heads arent worth a wank unless having other headwork done to match.

Carb will gain a few, so all in all not a bad figure.

Paul
31-10-03, 06:40 PM
The head was flowed, ported and skimmed Ben.

Ben
31-10-03, 06:47 PM
Fair enough

Was it done properly?

Paul
31-10-03, 06:51 PM
yeh i didnt evemn think they cud r/r it til it was worn in?
alternatively i think they didnt really care because it was a nova, they had there at the time a pulsar gti-r that got 400bhp plus, rover with 200plusclub down the side of it
and a little racing kit car dat was a V8.
they did it priperly but i doint fink they r/r'd it coz i didnt even get a print out...
wot u reckon?

Ben
31-10-03, 06:54 PM
Did you pay for a power run or a setup?

If you asked for a printout and they never gave you one i wouldnt of paid.

Will
31-10-03, 07:29 PM
run it in, get it on some local rollers and see wot they read, as i aid on msn, u can have bits of paper with numbers on all day wot matters is are u happy with the driving of it speed power torque wise etc etc etc

i loved the way mine drove, didnt give a fook if it was 80 or 90bhp i just liked it, i ran it on optimax after the RR and that made a huge difference im not kidding! try it

will

Will
31-10-03, 07:31 PM
p.s. i was running it as a mk2 engine..........

im think the bottem ends are the same but the mk1 had F10 gearbox and the mark 2 had F10CR, just to take that into account also

will

p.s. my carb inlet was matched, e.g. the 2 holes were smoothed into one for the carb, the jets were changed at velos during the setup, gained my 3 hp :D

peester
31-10-03, 11:48 PM
yeah run it in - need to re-coke head up again - head mod will keep gradually giving you more power- my B+ billy head on 1.6 8v after 2000 miles of running in has given me 6 brake extra so far (106bhp@fly) thats with standard cam, exhaust, ecu... given more time that'll keep going up. (hopefully) even if i didn't add any other mods. just keep driving.
Bill sed to me a nov with 96,000 miles had B+ head its now done 117,000 and still keeps getting more brake (bit by bit) each annual rr sesh even though no more mods have been put on.