PDA

View Full Version : Getting very worried!!

Adam Moran
31-10-03, 09:07 AM
Well, a few weeks ago when i polished my car i noticed it had a few little dents on the roof. Either side above the door and they are right on the edge.

Spoke to Neil and he said it was "chassis flex". Thats fair enough cause the car has been driven fairly hard over the summer. I thought it was just a case of the body shop pulling them out.

However! Rick D posted this in another post.

"a dint in the roof means the shell is scrap" :o

The car is quite mint as some people can testify but is it REALLY scrap??

Ad

andybishop
31-10-03, 01:51 PM
Ad, I would'nt worry to much, i've seen your engine bay when it was empty and it's mint, and i'd say it has defo not been in a front end shunt or anythings, all the seams are mint, and chassis legs are fine. Just check all the backend out when it stripped to check for any repaired damage.
Just get the bodyshop to sort the dents out when doing the bodywork.

Andy

mikeyredtop
31-10-03, 02:04 PM
my nova's have these dents it can happen when u jack tha car up, shell flex..

NovaNeil
31-10-03, 02:12 PM
Yeah mate its Scrap!!!!!!

Only Joking....hehehe, its fine. If you think there dents wait till you see the one on mine! Shes a beaut!!!! :twisted:

Will F
31-10-03, 03:16 PM
"a dint in the roof means the shell is scrap"

WHAT!!?? So when little scrotes bounce a fotty on my roof I will need to scrap it??!! :D

Mark
31-10-03, 04:29 PM
"a dint in the roof means the shell is scrap" :o

LOL - You should see the 'dints' in the rally car roofs!... :lol:

Riggy
31-10-03, 04:37 PM
its true to a point - but only if its big enough to make the car weaker if it rolled on its roof small ones near the edge are fine cos ive got a couple in mine :D

Adam Moran
31-10-03, 09:59 PM
Cheers guys!

Can stop the worrying now lol

the back of the car is totaly bare (ie - no suspension, bumpers ect) and ive had a good look and it's all good :lol:

Going to scrub the innner arches tomorrow and sort out a tinybit of rust on the rear beam then paint it all with nice black hamerite!

Then i will move up the car slowly as i only get about 5 hrs a week to work on it :cry:

Cheers

Ad

Slatter
31-10-03, 11:28 PM
Dont worry mate...

All down both sides of my roof there are little dents .... it looked like someone had gone alond it with a tiny ball hammer!!! :o

But then i got told it was probly caused by my coilovers being set to rock hard :twisted:

Rick Draper
31-10-03, 11:34 PM
"a dint in the roof means the shell is scrap"

WHAT!!?? So when little scrotes bounce a fotty on my roof I will need to scrap it??!! :D

Will if you had taken the time to read the post my post was originally in it is in referal to the fact that Neil had crashed his car and a Dint has now appeared in the roof, the suspension turrit had moved and this had probably cause the chassis leg to move up and caused the roof to crease/dint, this means that in the crash the shell has flexed meaning instant insurance writeoff status.

If the shell was bent you would know it, it would pull hard to one side under acceleration, understeer one way and oversteer the other and the steering would straighten one way and not the other.

IMHO neil know his shell is knakered now, it would not bother me driving a shell with a few small dints in the roof but if i had crashed it and a dint appeared then you know its fucked. Rick

privatepie
31-10-03, 11:34 PM
or i could be from ppl leaning on ur roof

NovaNeil
02-11-03, 11:52 AM
:puppydog:
IMHO neil know his shell is knakered now, it would not bother me driving a shell with a few small dints in the roof but if i had crashed it and a dint appeared then you know its fucked. Rick

Rub it in why don't you Rick :cry:

Yeah mine pulls heavily to the right under acceleration and understeers the same as Rick said. Its due for its MOT next month, so that could spell the end for it.......we'll see.

I'll get some Pics of the dent and post them soon.

Adam, get some Pics off your car and post them so we can see your progress......[/quote]

NovaNeil
02-11-03, 11:55 AM
RICK WROTE

neil know his shell is knakered now

Yeah its Knackered all right........drove it last night and it doesn't feel nice.... Better get it on a Jig me thinks. Just to check its safe to drive.

Adam Moran
02-11-03, 05:13 PM
Neil, would love to get some pics up but dont have a digi camera.

Feel free to come up and have a look though mate.

(oh and bring ur overals with you lol !!)

Ad

Ste_Nova
02-11-03, 05:42 PM
RICK WROTE
[quote]Better get it on a Jig me thinks. Just to check its safe to drive.

just drop test it

Mark
02-11-03, 05:44 PM
Just change the shell! - You know it's shagged!