PDA

View Full Version : mesh grille shortcomings

peester
30-10-03, 11:40 PM
a while ago i meshed my grille replacing the original thick plastic vxl louves with honeycombe black mesh. since then thou on rainy days getting steam/smoke out of front grill from under bonnet. does everyone get this when meshing gril; prehaps this is a well known fact but never had this problem with my old 1.2 sxi where i meshed the grill on that (garden mesh, nice!) annoying me a bit. its done it tonite; put it into the garage switched off got out and watch the steam rise out of the grill. i suppose its the rain getting onto rad -i know the car runs hot - a 1.5 mile run to drop my missus off at home and the car hot enough to steam when a bit of rain gets on it. may have to take it back to standard.
or is my fooking car sick? this running hot thing does my nut in too. time for bed me thinks.

dave.gsi
30-10-03, 11:49 PM
i had a bit of a panic the other day. thrashed the car down the motorway for about half an hour 95/100 mph and then went hooning round the town. finnaly came to a brief stop and a huuge puff of smoke/steam came out from the grille. pulled up thinking i'd blew the engine, poppped the bonnet everything seemed fine no more steam etc, temp gauge inside was fine, then i realised id squirted the window washer a few seconds before after i got soaked by a car infront going through a puddle. water must have hit the manifold or something and its been fine ever since. think its something that happens whether the grille is meshed or not

peester
31-10-03, 12:01 AM
but original grill is better; not so thin...? petty problem really but still just annoying a bit.

dave.gsi
31-10-03, 12:04 AM
ive had both. i'm on original at the mo. not noticed any significant difference with the mesh ones

shabba16
01-11-03, 10:55 AM
dave.gsi i had the same thing happen to me and my mate we thought the rad had blown :roll:

Neil.
01-11-03, 05:02 PM
i noticed i get steam with meshed grill.

peester
01-11-03, 07:38 PM
im not the only one then. sound. strainge cos never got it with my old 1.2.
any other people? any one gone back to orig. and its cured it?

Aragorn
02-11-03, 12:03 AM
water + 90c+ radiator = steam