PDA

View Full Version : How loud is your car allowed to be??

Philsutton
30-10-03, 05:09 PM
Anyone know what the decibel limit is for exhausts on cars?
My car has gone off the road again cos some stupid copper thinks my car is too loud even though its been through 2 MOTs in the last week fine. It has to go and be tested for its level of noise, just wondered what that level of noise is your allowed.

srs1
30-10-03, 05:44 PM
not sure mate. i'd suggest phone the traffic dept at the cop shop. have a chin wag with them, even suggest going down there d let them have a look. it could be that a cop has got a bonner for your zorst.
usually the traffic dept are cool (its the wanna be's that pull you).
atleast if they say it's ok, then tell that cop to shuve it where the sun don't shine!

Philsutton
30-10-03, 05:50 PM
well the guy that pulled me said he didnt no anything about cars and the only reason he pulled me was cos all novas drivers are knobs an that. So i'll just go an see someone that knows what their talking bout

srs1
30-10-03, 06:07 PM
i'd def go see the traffic dept, then you can def tell him to stick it. as a senior cop who knows what he's talking about says it fine. from then onwards, you can challenge this arse, for harrasment

?Marty?
30-10-03, 07:10 PM
i got pulled over for having ''...bloody hell, it's like two drainpipes under there...'' a loud exhaust. Though it was 3am, and i was driving through a built up residential area, setting off car alarms. lol

locky
30-10-03, 07:41 PM
Lol :lol:

Phil_G
30-10-03, 10:36 PM
Hi

no legal limit as such - it isnt allowed to be "offencive" though (which if youve passed an MOT with that system on it isnt thought to be)

Phil

Philsutton
01-11-03, 03:41 PM
right just found out that they cant do me for excessive noise because they cant measure the level of sound. It isnt part of the MOT so i cant get my defect slip stamped by them. Basically i took the car off the road for a week for no reason, typical of the police to be wasting other peoples time instead of arreesting people that have actually done something wrong

CP
03-11-03, 09:51 AM
Dunno if this is right but they might argue that its:

a. unroadworthy which is a term they use to cover a multitude of sins

or

b. causing a public nuisance

You may find that they are quite hot on it cos the majority of nuisance complaints made to local authorities and the police etc is about noise.

Philsutton
03-11-03, 03:09 PM
The guy that originally pulled me has rang back and he's sending the vehicle inspection unit round to my house to check the car. Ohh arent i lucky. This guy is determined to get me for something, but the thing he doesnt understand is that i have had 2MOTs last week so everything should be spot on. Apart from the noise, i'll just have to put some :lol: filters on the 40's

Jon_nova1
03-11-03, 03:46 PM
there isn't one on roads only at races, but you can get f***ed for noise pollution, but that's only if you hang around long enough for the police to get there after the complaint

Philsutton
03-11-03, 03:55 PM
well i have already been banned from driving the car to work as "its too loud". I do finish at 12am though so i can nearly understand why people complain. I just park it round the corner. I know i could be done for noise pollution but no one knows what this level is even the police dont know what this is.

Jon_nova1
03-11-03, 04:23 PM
just get a sound barrier and say it was on all the time and watch the cop's face drop :lol: :lol:

Philsutton
03-11-03, 04:28 PM
i was thinking i could reset the rev limiter to say something stupid like 2000rpm an then let them try an rev it, that'll make it a bit quieter. :lol:

Jon_nova1
03-11-03, 04:33 PM
you could just make sure you disconnect the rev counter and tell them it's knackered coz if you don't they'll know something's not right they might be stupid but i think they know you'd struggle getting the last gear

Philsutton
03-11-03, 04:40 PM
im not letting them drive it, its just going to be revved to test loudness, plus i dont have a rev counter anyway. I'll just tell them its misfiring as its going bang, bang, bang off the limiter. Then again i cant see it being that loud, it has three siliencers. But the carbs might need some for off muffling.