PDA

View Full Version : ENGINE MANAGEMENT

EHoulton
30-10-03, 11:02 AM
I changed my nova's engine from a 1.2 carb to 1.6GTE
What wires do i need to connect to get the engine management bulb working on my instrument cluster?
Thanks
Edward

mikeyredtop
30-10-03, 11:11 AM
brown and white

EHoulton
30-10-03, 11:18 AM
the ECU has only 4 wires. (black, blue, green & red)
Where will the brown and white wires be?
Thanks
Edward

mikeyredtop
30-10-03, 11:30 AM
mmm it was that on my gte, and lookin at wiring diagram in haynes next to me and it is 2...

EHoulton
30-10-03, 11:41 AM
So you have 2 wires (brown & white) from your ECU plug?

mikeyredtop
30-10-03, 12:27 PM
no stripy brown/white single wire

EHoulton
30-10-03, 12:48 PM
I will check it out then. By the way, this wire should be fitted in the instrument cluster like the oil pressure wire is?

Ste_Nova
30-10-03, 01:03 PM
brown/blue on some models

mikeyredtop
30-10-03, 01:07 PM
its defo brown/white

EHoulton
30-10-03, 01:57 PM
Lets say its the blue one (like the one i have on my ecu plug)
That blue wire goes to the fuel pump, so what i'll need to do is
make a splitter, for that it goes in the back of the instrument cluster
too? is it a type like the oil pressure wire is?

mikeyredtop
30-10-03, 02:01 PM
the fuel pump wire is blue/red not blue, i looked on the diagram could'nt see a blue 1...red is constant live, black switched live, brown earth, green to green on coil for injection timing...

EHoulton
30-10-03, 02:06 PM
Yes you are right, it is blue/red. so is it that wire that i need to connect to the instrument cluster?

EHoulton
30-10-03, 02:51 PM
the green wire, i connected it straight to the instrument cluster for the rev counter to work. i did not connect it to the coil.

mikeyredtop
30-10-03, 04:37 PM
does the engine actually work yet??

EHoulton
30-10-03, 04:43 PM
yes i used it a couple of times but not much yet.

The ecu had a plug, consisting of 4 wires, black, red, blue/red and green.
The red - live
The black - ignition
The blue/red - fuel pump
The green to instrument cluster (rev counter)

The green wire is supposed to go to coil?

When i had started the engine, i realised that the engine management bulb was not working. so i need to know how this has tobe done to get it working.

mikeyredtop
30-10-03, 04:49 PM
your missing the vital wire (brown/white) its got it in the haynes wiring diagram look further down the loom it may have been chopped...

EHoulton
30-10-03, 04:57 PM
i will check it out next saturday when i'll go to my garage, but can you please tell me, how does this wire connect to the cluster?
Last thing, is the green wire meant to be connected to the coil too?

mikeyredtop
30-10-03, 05:02 PM
yeah just to a bulb on back of dash, when i put my gte in it didnt work until i put the green wire on the coil, so i think a second opinion is needed...

EHoulton
30-10-03, 05:09 PM
so the bulb has to be different to the other bulbs? coz the normal bulbs on the back of the cluster do not have a slider or sumthing that can allow a wire to be slided in..
With regards to the green wire, there is as slider on the coil, did you connect it there? as the coil has as plug that is connected to the harness of the engine..
sorry about this but im getting confused on how the bulb has to be done and if the coil is the way it should be.
Thanks for your help.

mikeyredtop
30-10-03, 05:21 PM
the dash might not have a slider for a ecu light if the dash was off a car without a ecu... if u use a digi dash they have a orange light, and from the plug on back would have the brown/white wire there. on the coil there is the double plug with 1 green wire and a black coming out, i think. ive not got my gte anymore or i would look for u...

EHoulton
30-10-03, 07:41 PM
i am using the GTE instrument cluster, it has the middle bulb for the engine management but its like the rest of the bulbs. so i guess the wire must be fixed on the clip that clips into the cluster. with regards to the coil, i will have a good look on saturday. what i know for sure is that part of the engine's harness clips into it. i noticed also that there is an empty slider on one side. dont know what's its for though.

Aragorn
30-10-03, 10:36 PM
if the wire aint on the harness then your kinda stuffed

is the original multiplug there? if so u should have 6 wires

black - ign live
red - perm live
green - tacho feed to dash
blue - temp feed to dash
brown/white - management light
blue/red - fuel pump

u MAY find if its the earlier system it dont have it

does the ignition management unit have Bosch or Siemens stamped on it

if its the bosch one its the older system they only used for 2 years - maybe it simply doesnt have the light? check the haynes manual wiring diagram for 1988 gte...

EHoulton
30-10-03, 10:45 PM
the engine is a E16SE

On the ecu it is stamped Bosch

In the multi plug as far as i know i have four wires but i will confirm this on saturday.
i know for sure that the wires i connected where: red - live, black - ignition, blue/red - fuel pump, and green - feed to tacho.

The rest of the wires where all in the engines harness which i did not touch.

As far as i know, it did have a engine management light.

EHoulton
01-11-03, 03:37 PM
i just checked the multiplug and it seems that a wire has been removed, but there are no traces of it. what i noticed too is that in the plug of the ecu, there is a brown/red wire coming out of the plug and in again, and its taped. could it be thats the wire i need to connect for the engine management light to work?