PDA

View Full Version : I need computer help, as usual!

Kruger
29-10-03, 12:12 AM
Hope someone can help me on this as I cant get my computer to boot, and am having to use the g/f's,

Using win Xp Pro,

I downloaded clone cd from kazaa, installed it and then was greeted by a dialogue box bearing bad news,

"some system files have been deleted, insert windows cd etc",

I didn't have a windows cd to hand and eventually turned the thing off, Big mistake, the computer wont boot now and I think something bad has happened, It will boot to the bios, but when using a working windows xp cd (bootable cd) it fails to boot and gives a message like,

"Atapi cd rom :no emulation"

I've changed the boot sequence in the bios and thats set to CD first, Floppy second, HDD 3rd, so thats not the problem, and I'm stumped as to whats up with it now,

Anyone help?,

thanks

Dicko
29-10-03, 07:27 AM
this sounds bad. if it says no emulation it aint gonna boot from that hmmmmm.
you could try letting it boot as normal, but keep pressing f8 when its gone past the bios screen which brings up another menu and pick 'last known good configuration'. its a longshot though, sounds like that file you downladed had a virus. mind you it cant have cuz u have an uptodate virus scanner like we keep telling everybody to get yea?

joeczucha
29-10-03, 09:45 AM
Get to another machine and create a boot floppy - windows 98 would be ok but may not like it if you drive is formatted NTFS (do you know if it is?)... otherwise boot from it and then manually install atapi drivers - you should be able to get them from the web as well. Windows CD should run from that and you can use the repair utility.

Good luck mate, if you need a hand email me joeczucha@hotmail.com

J

Fester
29-10-03, 10:31 AM
unless you know youve specifically installed and specified the file system to FAT32 or changed it later using something like Partition Magic, it'll be NTFS so the Windows 98 boot disk wont work.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q310/9/94.asp&NoWebContent=1

scroll down about halfway and you can see links to 'XP Home' and 'XP Pro', go to whichever you have then on the right hand side click on 'download' to download the setup disks required. It will need about 6 disks.

whop the xp cd in, and floppy disk #1 and boot up, it will go through the 6 disks and then commence setup off the cd, so you can then repair installation or fuck it and format again

its up to you

if repair fails for whatever reason then follow these steps and format it

joeczucha
29-10-03, 12:39 PM
Does XP default to NTFS then? 2000 was FAT32 unless you chose to format to NTFS at installation...

Fester
29-10-03, 01:00 PM
default for 2k was NTFS, its needed to take full advantage of security and active directory services :)

Alex
29-10-03, 02:29 PM
yep

wisewood
29-10-03, 03:20 PM
Does XP default to NTFS then? 2000 was FAT32 unless you chose to format to NTFS at installation...

and our survey says... EEEEGH UUURRRRGHHHH!!!
wrong mate.

joeczucha
29-10-03, 03:36 PM
default for 2k was NTFS, its needed to take full advantage of security and active directory services

not for standalone machine with one user! ads for networks anyway! hmmmph geeks :P

Fester
29-10-03, 09:47 PM
win2k is designed to sit on an NTFS formatted disk mate!

dave.gsi
29-10-03, 10:52 PM
wtf @ this whole post

this shit is waaaaay over my head lol

corsa gt
29-10-03, 11:42 PM
1-Boot a Win98 floppy, type 'fdisk /mbr'. Reboot,
or,
2-hit F8 during boot, select safe mode. If you get in there's a driver failure. Check Device Manager.
3-If you don't get in... :evil:

Dicko
30-10-03, 07:17 AM
it depends what your disk is already formatted as depending on whether win2k defualts to NTFS or FAT32 ;)

I install enough of the buggers I shud know :)

Dpnova
30-10-03, 10:15 AM
Boot it up and check the drivers,

joeczucha
30-10-03, 10:17 AM
Whatever 8) use the mad bootdisk to read NTFS drives

http://www.madboot.com/

Breeny
30-10-03, 11:12 AM
got any important stuff on there??

If not just format it and start again "in my opinion".

Will probably take less time than figuring out how to get it to boot up and even then you'll probably have loads of probs.

corsa gt
30-10-03, 09:56 PM
it depends what your disk is already formatted as depending on whether win2k defualts to NTFS or FAT32 ;)

I install enough of the buggers I shud know :)

fdisk /mbr actually works with NTFS too, even from a win98 bootdisk. Regardless 8)

Kruger
08-11-03, 03:26 PM
Right my computer is still pissing me off, Can boot it using a windows 98 disk and then get to command prompt, but when using the format command to format the hard disk I get the message,

"format not supported on Drive C:"
"Format terminated"

Is my hard drive dead? Or has anyone got any ideas??/

Thanks

Kev

Kruger
08-11-03, 03:28 PM
Right my computer is still pissing me off, Can boot it using a windows 98 disk and then get to command prompt, but when using the format command to format the hard disk I get the message,

"format not supported on Drive C:"
"Format terminated"

Is my hard drive dead? Or has anyone got any ideas??/

Thanks

Kev

Breeny
08-11-03, 04:31 PM
Havnt read the rest of the post again but if you want to completely start again just boot up using the Win XP CD. It sorts out all the formatting and partinioning for you..

Hows the nova Kev ;)

Kruger
08-11-03, 05:24 PM
It wont boot from the Xp Cd,

Getting close to just binning it and buying a new board, chip and hard drive!

Breeny, Got all the bits to do a 16v but I stripped down the shell I had (J reg) and theres too much rust around the battery tray inner wheelarch for me to use the shell, so still looking! Got a g reg I've been given but I havent had chance to poke about and see how solid it is.

Any other ideas??

Fester
08-11-03, 05:39 PM
unless you know youve specifically installed and specified the file system to FAT32 or changed it later using something like Partition Magic, it'll be NTFS so the Windows 98 boot disk wont work.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q310/9/94.asp&NoWebContent=1

scroll down about halfway and you can see links to 'XP Home' and 'XP Pro', go to whichever you have then on the right hand side click on 'download' to download the setup disks required. It will need about 6 disks.

whop the xp cd in, and floppy disk #1 and boot up, it will go through the 6 disks and then commence setup off the cd

Riggy
08-11-03, 05:51 PM
you cant format a ntfs disk from a win 98 start -up disc by using the format prompt you have to fdisk it first , go into fdisk menu select delete primary dos partitions think its option 4 once done select creaye primary dos partition and when its done that you can then format it into fat 32 , this WILL change to ntfs when you boot from the xp cd and select format into ntfs

Kruger
08-11-03, 07:31 PM
Cheers Fester and Riggy, Used the 6 xp setup in the end, I can get to the initial setup screen for xp but a dialogue box asks that the "asms" file is needed by the xp cd rom to complete setup, and then asks where to copy the files from by specifying a path,

I'm getting there I think, but what now?, and btw its a not an origional xp cd, but it worked the other day on a clean install on a different pc.

Thanks