PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advice needed

Barn
26-10-03, 06:15 PM
went to start car earlier after fitting my headlights... was making one hell of a noise when it was cranking (to start) and dash lights were flicking on and off? Couldn't get the fcuker started at all???

mate was looking at the engine when I was trying to start it and he said the alternator was not moving properly, it was sticking (moving a little bit then stopping then moving a little bit)??

I'm worried, any ideas?

Dicko
26-10-03, 06:34 PM
how loose is the belt? does it make noises when engine is runing?

Aragorn
26-10-03, 09:13 PM
if the "hell of a noise" was like rapid clicking then its prolly the battery is dead or starter is buggered

try jumping it with a good heavy set of jump leads

Barn
29-10-03, 01:24 PM
how loose is the belt? does it make noises when engine is runing?
belt doesn't seem loose...aint noticed it before when engine running (have a loud exhast tho)

aragorn - i don't think the battery is dead mate, aint left any lights or anything on. i cant get hold of jump leads either :(

its gotta be something to do with the alternator tho coz it jus aint turning properly, driving me mad! lol

cheers

rgv_stu
29-10-03, 02:46 PM
well disconnect the alternator belt and start it
see if that makes a difference

nam
29-10-03, 02:57 PM
mine went like this so i just left it and then a few days l8er it started agen but wud like to no wot it woz that woz makin it do it in the frst place.

cheers lads
nam

Aragorn
29-10-03, 09:26 PM
right

im guessing its turning the alt say once or twice slowly then making rapid clicking then turning it some more

what u gotta remember is the engine is turning the alt, and the starter is turning the engine - if the alts not spinning properly the engine aint either which means either the starter itself is fucked, theres a dodgy earth somewhere or the battery is done/discharged

first thing to try is a jump lead between battery and block if it starts its the GB or chassis earth strap if it does the same then either the battery is dead or low or the starter itself is knackered

dont u have a mate with jump leads? if not then buy some cos thats the only way your gonna find out

mine did this 2 weeks ago - was gb earth strap, a car i baught on saturday also did this and it was a fucked battery

either is probable and the only way to find out is by either jumping it or trying another battery

Barn
29-10-03, 10:53 PM
will keep u posted....cheers

Barn
30-10-03, 04:57 PM
im guessing its turning the alt say once or twice slowly then making rapid clicking then turning it some more
first off, thanks for all ur help...

the alt aint turning at all.

think it is my starter motor thats nakerd, just tried to start it today and the dash lights are just flicking on and off...no cranking. although it did nearly start up once (revs on counter went up) but no further.

any ideas how much a new starter motor will cost me? are they easy to fit?

cheers

mikeyredtop
30-10-03, 05:05 PM
chack your battrey first...

Barn
30-10-03, 05:10 PM
yeh sorry got a bit ahead of myself then.
but you know what its like when your car don't start or something, you just want to get it sorted like yesterday, lol.

just got to get jump leads sorted

Aragorn
30-10-03, 10:28 PM
yer the fact its now deader than it was suggests its the battery