PDA

View Full Version : Twin 40's and full throttle gear shift rev limiter

Philsutton
25-10-03, 04:37 PM
Got my car back after having some work done mainly some twin 40's. I already had a full throttle gear shift rev limiter fitted to the engine. Now before it had the carbs fitted it would pop flames out the back on gear changeoff the limiter. I was going down a dual carriage way the other night went past bout 6 of my mates an then when i was in front i changed gear. When i took my foot off the clutch the pop/explosion that occured poped ur ears, i saw a flash from under the bonnet. Basically flames came out of the trumpets. Plus when we stoped i was told my mates that the flames that came out of the back we far from small. In fact it produced a flame from each tailpipe (4) that engulfed the whole of the car. They could see the back of the car for bright orange flames :o. I no i havent had the carbs set up right but still that seemed a bit extreme to what it was doing before. Plus it pops all the time now, sounds good and looks good but i dont think it can be doing any good.

phil

CP
25-10-03, 06:11 PM
Errm flames from the zorst = unburnt fuel in the zorst being set fire to.
flames out of the trumpets = excessive fuel in the inlet tract being set fire to.
There could be many reasons.

If I were you I would get to a rolling road and get it checked out properly. Its much easier to nail the problem down cos you can look closely at the engine whilst giving it a rag. Its gonna cost ?100 or so but it will be worth it. I did this to find out a misfire problem at very high revs - sounded like valve bounce. On the rolling road we could see easily that it was only affecting no. 3 cylinder cos flames came out the no.3 carb. This led me to investigate the valve train. Turned out the cam housing was warped.

IMO its most likely to be to do with either the timing or the valve train.

If it has been a problem with 2 carb setups that would prolly rule them out as the cause.

Philsutton
25-10-03, 06:16 PM
Yeah i want to get it on the rolling road anyway but i need to get the clutch sorted first which is slipping. No good going on rolling road if i cant get the power down. More problems :(

Gazza14SR
25-10-03, 06:18 PM
before i had my 40s set up properly all i had to do was rev the engine to about 3-4k rpm and get this:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/pc10b0d3b98042dcb21f430c88dd40aa7/fb509168.jpg

where and how much was the full throttle gear shift rev limiter ?

cheers

peester
25-10-03, 07:40 PM
take piccy put on here, sounds mental. i bet it is scary but for one day go to a cruise. scare the shite out of everyone! sweet as.

benji
26-10-03, 12:26 PM
i think the flames from the back will be caused by the full throttle gear change, as far as i know it cuts the ignition to drop the revs so un-burnt fuel will be getting in to the exhaust

Philsutton
26-10-03, 01:54 PM
the full throttle gear change was somewhere like 100 pounds fitted, not sure where its from. Just novas ordered it me, made me have it as i go through engines very easily if they dont have a limiter. I shall try an get some pics on later, going down nottingham to annoy the police :lol: