PDA

View Full Version : Is it worh it?????????

essexnova
23-10-03, 07:25 PM
ive got a pretty mint Mk 1 1.2, had it for about 1 and a half. Spent about ?1500+ on it. think the head gasket is going cos when im not moving (such as a traffic lights), there is a tapping sound from the engine and sometimes smokes a bit :( :cry: :cry:

My question is:
Do i bother getting it fixed (how much would this cost to get a new one and replaced)?

or do i just sell it? (but i love it) :(

or run it into the ground???

wat u think?????

cheers

woody1980
23-10-03, 07:33 PM
drop a valver in it cost =1000 4 every thing as long as the shells up to it?

essexnova
23-10-03, 07:37 PM
yeah i was thinking of that but its such a bloodly hassile. plus i haven't got a ?1000 and i need my car every day :(

woody1980
23-10-03, 07:42 PM
lookout 4 a 1.2 runnit till it dropps then put it in a 1.2 shouldent be more than 100 4 a fresh engine

Stuart
23-10-03, 08:10 PM
umm the tapping is going to be the tappets (hydraulic lifters), they do make a racket when they get full of shite/old etc

to tell if your head gasket is going look in the coolant header tank to see if you have oil in there, and if you rev it look for lots of bubbles like fizzy drink.

look under the oil cap for a white sludge like mayo.

also if the engine is using water/running hot its a good indication of a failed head gasket.

what colour smoke is it? this will help diagnose thigns like valve stem oil seals etc.

to be honest as its a mk1 its bound to have coverd a fair mileage. so prehaps a top end rebuild is in order (if only to replace things liek oil seals etc.

that will cost about ?100 or less

or just pic up a 1.4 or 1.6 for bugger all and swap it in a few hours.

if you dont know how to do it, have a go as its the only way to learn