PDA

View Full Version : Skittish back end?

Zak16v
20-10-03, 07:50 PM
Today i was road testing my new gsi engined nova.

The rear has been lowered 60mm and has no rear anti roll bar.

As i rounded a slip road off a roundabout i noticed the back end slide a bit to the right, it felt really unstable and i reckon if i turned into the corner hard enough it would have spun!

The rear interior of the car has been stripped out in place of a simple carpeted false floor with no spare wheel etc to save weight, and i can tell it affects the ride due to it still sitting like a monster truck at the back.

And help on this would be appreciated, as i want it to sit alot lower and want the back end to be less tail happy!

Jim
20-10-03, 08:54 PM
Might have to get customised springs made up to make it sit any lower.

As for handling. Perhaps get a sturt brace fitted across the back?

Thats the trouble with taking out all the weight from the rear, it will make the back end more "skittish".

For the time being, just drive carefully, make sure you have good conditioned tyres with plenty of grip.

Jim

Ste_Nova
21-10-03, 09:46 AM
what pressure in the rear tyres?

Dicko
21-10-03, 10:37 AM
my back end was like this when i took my seats/spare wheel out. slipping and sliding. that was with good 195/45 tyres with lots of grip

Mark
21-10-03, 04:55 PM
Mine's not skittish at all, nothing in the rear exept my spare, 195/50-15 Proxes ... Oh and a rear strut brace..

Zak16v
21-10-03, 06:51 PM
what pressure in the rear tyres?

Good point why the hell didnt i thin of that, ill check em on thursday when im off work and let you know how i get on.

rgv_stu
22-10-03, 10:09 AM
with less weight in the back mine gripped better

tyres run at around 24 -26psi on the rear to get full contact patch