PDA

View Full Version : Went to avon park raceway today

karl Rowntree
19-10-03, 10:26 PM
Took a trip down to avon park raceway 1/4 mile today. My mate asked me and a friend to take his 2.9 VR6 supercharged mk2 golf down for him!, said he was busy and wanted to no what times it was doing.

Dont think i will be going there in mine though. The organisation was really bad, and the drag cars were aloud to jump the que. I only got 4 runs in, in approx 7 hours! Was made to feel quite welcome though.

Anyway, think its to cold now to be doing runs, couldnt get any grip

Met up with Ade who owns the issac nova, he went to do his first run and snapped a drive shaft! so he was gutted.

Was running PVD driveshafts which are ment to have a lifetime warranty, hes in a bit of a muddle now on what shafts to use. Poor bloke has problem after problem, top guy though.

jkhilton
19-10-03, 10:36 PM
what times was his golf running then????

karl Rowntree
19-10-03, 10:46 PM
Times were really bad mate, best i could get was a 14.8 :o

Best its done is a 13.9, but that was before the recent rebuild (we blue the engine up a bruntingthorpe at the start of the year!)

Engine is now fully rebuilt with cams, chipped, diff and the biggest charger you can get from america. Its down as the second quickest mk2 golf in england in VW magazine.

Not at the mo though :lol: back to the drawing board i think!

ncole
20-10-03, 10:03 AM
did ya have traction probs cause me mate owns that yellow mk3 s/c vr6 with nos and he always has traction probs

Will
20-10-03, 10:34 AM
wot abt that twin engined golf that did 12 second 1/4 or wotever it was? or was that not a mk2, not all clued up on my VW's im afraid :P

DOH @ driveshafts, lifetime warrenty is good, get on the phone and get some replacements asap!

Breeny
20-10-03, 10:39 AM
"Big Dub" is a mk3 i believe.

Why is Karl gonna get replacement shafts for someone elses nova?? lol

Will
20-10-03, 10:45 AM
i did read the post was just a general comment, bloody pvd, if the shafts snap easily then they are gona lose money big time on replacements / refunds :D

Breeny
20-10-03, 11:03 AM
Not that many people are running the amount of hp Ade is.. and those big wheels/tyres won't help either! So I doubt that many will snap... I thought they were only rated at 300hp anyway?

NovaNeil
20-10-03, 12:52 PM
"BIG DUB" Is a Mk4, I was watching it at TOTB2 on DVD last night.
What Colour is the Golf Karl?

Theres a Golf MK2 at Stealth Racing at the moment (where I have my RR sessions). It is a 1.8 16v with throttle Bodies and a big Turbo Producing a whopping 320bhp!!! It cost 15K to build the engine though..... :( But it does sound awesome. The best bit is the car looks fairly standard. Just has 17's G60 Arches and big brakes.

Ste_Nova
20-10-03, 01:03 PM
lifetime warrenty is no good if they snap at every event and take 6 weeks to get replacements... would be better with nova shafts and cav inners... and a spare set 'in the van'

Jim
20-10-03, 06:49 PM
lifetime warrenty is no good if they snap at every event and take 6 weeks to get replacements... would be better with nova shafts and cav inners... and a spare set 'in the van'

Yeah, but like Breeny said, if they are only suited to 300bhp, and Issac is running large heavy wheels, then theres only so much stress that a driveshaft can take. If you keep forcing the amount of power through them that he has been, then there bound to go at some point. At least with a lifetime warenty he can get some more for free.

Jim

karl Rowntree
20-10-03, 06:50 PM
The golf is red neil, quite well known round by us. It looks like a competely standard GTI. You have probably seen it mate, we tend to get around abit in it

Thats what i told ade ste, give the 1.6 shafts ago. But like breeny said, i guess running those wheels doesnt help.Going to try those myself, whats the exact inner shaft i need mate?