PDA

View Full Version : cooling system probs

mmollart
19-10-03, 02:44 PM
hi
the fan switch went on my gte the other week, ive just drained & flushed the coolant & replaced the fan switch
the prob is, i can only get 2 liters in the header tank before its full even after the thermostat has opened.
i took the oil cap off & theres some creamy goo around it, but none on the dipstick or in the header tank, i had a new head gasket fitted a few months ago, could this have gone already? also the fan still doesnt come on, even with a new switch!
any ideas? :?
thanks in advance

ade
20-10-03, 11:34 PM
goo in the tank would suggest leaking gasket although with the change in temp/weather it could also be condensation...

You may have a blockage somewhere...

geordie_racer
21-10-03, 01:05 PM
sounds like you've got an airlock in the cooling system caant remeber whether the nova has a bleed valve in the cooling system or not. the other method is to get a hose and run it through the cooling system for a few minutes this usually will clear the block

chris

Dicko
21-10-03, 01:10 PM
hi mark hows it goin mate

turn ya heating on full and turn the fan on. get the engine running and leave the expansion top off. keep giving the large pipes a squeze to make sure the water is circulating. also check the temp of your radiator. its possible the waterpump has completely gone, or there is another blockage.
to test the fan short out the conectors on the switch. check the fuse inside the car for it.

if ye get stuck ill call over sometime this week and take a look!!

courtenaynova
21-10-03, 03:55 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth!

Do what Dicko said....it does work :D

mmollart
21-10-03, 03:57 PM
thanks for all the help
hi dicko btw
doesnt the cooling system need bleeding from the temp sender on the head?
shagged pump sounds like a gud place to start (never thought of that)
when the fan switch went, i checked the fuses & shorted the plug & it worked, so i changed the switch, flushed it out, then filled it up, but could only get 2-3 liters in & it still didnt come on, also the level of water didnt move, thermostat maybe?
ive got a mate having a look 2mo, il let you know what he thinks it is