PDA

View Full Version : New gsi engine problems

Zak16v
19-10-03, 01:04 PM
Ok so i have just finished the conversion from 1.2 merit engine to 1.6i early gsi spec engine.

There are still 1 or 2 probs im havin.

Firstly, there was no alternator on the gsi engine, so i used the alternator from my 1.2 engine, i went to my local motor factor to get a fan belt and the guy supplied one for a 1.6 gsi engine but it is too short!

The pulley on the gsi engine is bigger than the one on the 1.2, is there a belt that will fit for me?

And also the engine seems to run really hot and there are bubbles and turbulence in the water header tank and the fan isnt kickin in.

Any help on these would be appreciated, cheers.

peester
19-10-03, 11:14 PM
yes as far as i know there are two belts for 1.6 8v one is slightly longer than other - if u go to any vaux dealer (gen belts are bout a quid dearer than motor factors and fit better) they should list the two for the engine. ask them to give you the one with more teeth. that should be it.
check sensor in radiator and wiring to/from fan and fuses for fan to get working again running hot i can only put down to engine need to be run - used regularly. my gsi spent a quite not-used-much life then sat a few weeks before i bought it. my first few days of driving it it ran hot -then got better. but change coolant and check radiator is ok.

peester
20-10-03, 08:22 AM
you were lucky enough to get my 100th post there too, would you believe.
:D

Dicko
20-10-03, 08:27 AM
is your radiator actually getting hot?

leave the top off the expansion tank, turn ur heating on full in the car and run the engine till its warm. make sure water is getting into the radiator. this will get rid of any airlocks in the system

Zak16v
20-10-03, 07:47 PM
Cheers guys ill get the fan belt for it on thursday and ill look into the probs with the radiator.

The car doesnt seem to overheat as such its just that the fan aint kickin in right, ill check the fuses etc on thursday also and make sure there aint no airlocks, let u know how i get on.