PDA

View Full Version : gsi suspension

gtiller
18-10-03, 09:04 PM
When i bought my GSi, it came 'equiped' with lowered suspension.

Closer inspection showed a set of cropped springs alround.

I want to return the car to it's original height and/or soften the ride.

I don't want a bone shaker, but i don't want crappy handling either.

Any view or opinions of a good compromise (ride versus handling)?

I have always opted for Billys in the past (had the Courtenay Premium Kit on my old Cavalier)
This time though its different - i don't want to spend too much on the Nova.

Thing is though, the Cav was heavy enough to have a stiffer setup, whereas the Nova is so light a stiff setup will make the handling a bit scitish.

What do you reckon?

Cheers.

peester
18-10-03, 11:16 PM
returning to original stuff will mean crappy handling as all orig. vaux suspension is shite. i rekon best compromise is o.e spec new decent stuff like monroe shocks and springs or try a suspension kit like avo's (?200ish) that only offers a 25mm drop that mean it'll be better than o.e as its uprated but not as tough riding as usual kits that offer 40,60mm drops. trouble is everyone on here will tell you to not be a chicken and deck the bitch. thats what im doing to mine next. :D

gtiller
19-10-03, 11:13 AM
Cheers Peester!

- i used to have a Jamex kit on my old SR and it was the worst thing i ever did - sure the car was lower, but i think the shocks/springs were too hard and as a result the road holding was actually worse than with the OE setup (and that's saying something)!

Anyone else have any experience and recommendations?

Dan
19-10-03, 11:29 AM
as i have said in a thread on gen chat, i use the billie sprintline setup, tried others incl koni adjustables etc but the billies are the best so far for what was 450 notes. Obv the coilover kits come into play along the lines but again for a decent setup you must be prepared to pay ?????. the billie kit prob sits 30mm lower, but as most gte's are sagging now it just blends in with the standard susp cars

Zak16v
19-10-03, 12:30 PM
My nova still has standard merit shocks all round and 40mm lowering springs. I recently got the rear lowering springs from an h plate gsi that are 60mm, i put them on the rear of my car and it still sits like a feckin monster truck!

I think its because i have stripped so much out of the insude of the car, any ideas or info on this ???

Jules
19-10-03, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't recommend Avo's if you're after a bit of comfort, I've got Avo adjustables all round on their softest settings and it's still to bumpy for my liking.

CharlieFlashCrash
20-10-03, 12:44 PM
I put billies shox and 35mm springs on my gsi and the rear actually increased off the ground. I think this was due to sagging which is suppost to be popular on vauxhalls. I then got 50mm PI for the rear and now its spot on. :)