PDA

View Full Version : different diameter downpipes?

dave.gsi
16-10-03, 12:04 PM
after fitting the sportex full system that i had on my grey gsi to my new white one i havent been able to stop it blowing at the front join where it meets the downpipe. i tried bloody everything and must have gone through half a tub of exhaust assembly paste. :roll:

its only today though when i tried fitting the exhaust that was on the white one to the grey one that i realised it didn't fit :?:

the pipe just wouldnt join on to the downpipe.

turns out that inside the old exhaust was a little reducer ring. after knocking it out with a hammer and chisel the exhaust fitted perfectly. only problem is the little reducer ring was knackered by the time it came out so i couldn't fit it to my sportex exhaust on the white one :(

so now i've realised that the downpipe on the white one is about half a centimetre smaller than the grey one. any1 know why they changed them?

plus, i now need a small reducing ring to fit into my sportex to stop the bloody thing blowing.

where can i get one? vauxhall/kwick fit?

any1 happen to have one lying around the garage? :wink:

Ste_Nova
16-10-03, 12:25 PM
u mean the donut gasket... you should really replace it everytime the exhaust is off

dave.gsi
16-10-03, 09:25 PM
:?:

fits into the exhaust pipe and reduces the diameter of the pipe so it fits the downpipe better.

where can you get them?

mikeoxford
16-10-03, 09:26 PM
car spares

dave.gsi
16-10-03, 10:57 PM
still doesnt explain why when the exhaust was fitted to my white car it needed the donut thing, but it wouldnt fit my grey gsi until i took it out. therefore the downpipes must be different diameters

Ste_Nova
17-10-03, 11:12 AM
they sometimes need hammering on.. they are a wire mesh construction and will strectch... one of ur cars may have had a pattern part downpipe on