PDA

View Full Version : Removing a Nova door

Metromartin
14-10-03, 11:48 PM
Hi all,

My m8 needs a drivers door for the MOT for his 3 door mk1 1.2L as it has failed because its too rusty, want to change it anyway but,
I have bought a door hindge pin removal kit from Machine Mart and not to sure how to use it, I know you need to remove the pin caps but then not to sure how to use the tool to remove the pin. we got 3 bolts that I guess go through the pin and a leaver but cant seem to get them to budge:(

Any help would be great on how to remove the a door.

TIA

Martin

Mark
15-10-03, 06:58 AM
Hit it VERY fcuking hard.....OR angle grind the door off then remove the pins and fit the new door...

Ste_Nova
15-10-03, 09:20 AM
doors shouldn't fail the mot unless they have sharp edges

wisewood
15-10-03, 11:12 AM
then they probably have sharp rusty edges ste lol.

give the lad a clue how to remove the pins :D

Ste_Nova
15-10-03, 11:32 AM
tank tape is an acceptable fix

Ben
15-10-03, 11:43 PM
lol i was going to say stick some gaffer tape over the holes :lol:

Removing doors is an absoloute arse end of story, theres noe easy way except grinding them off.

Alex
16-10-03, 10:24 AM
I removed mine yesterday. i have the proper tool (thanks white-nova) but i didn't use it. i got about 200litres of WD40 and sprayed it all over the pins. Get some pliers and you can prose them out from there if your lucky

ChronoCabal
16-10-03, 08:23 PM
An hour and a half later, and with a bent and totally knackered tool, we had no choice but to give up on removing the door at the scrappy. The MOT has now run out on it, so it's just sat looking rather forlorn. :(

And yes, the door is very rusty with sharp edges :P

Quite pleased with it thou, as it only failed on that and a blowy zorst.

With a new backbox fitted, that door is the only thing stopping the car from passing, and letting me drive it again. :(

In short, I'm desperate for a new drivers door, so if anyone can help it would be much appreiated.

Cheers,

Lee

Metromartin
17-10-03, 12:53 AM
Hi lee,

we got the pins half way out, just got really mifed that out of all the Novas there, that lad wanted the lock from the door we were removing and we got p***ed off and bent the pin removal tool :(

Angle grinding the scrap car is ok but we still need to remove the door on urs properly :(

So loads of WD40 a old push rod and a malet should work :) Will the pins be ok to reuse :?:

Martin

Mark
17-10-03, 07:03 AM
Get new pins, they are pence.
If your door is want, just bend the lip out so you can easily get to the hinge, cover the car and angle grind the hinge on the door, then remove the pin...Done this lots and lots of times with NO damage to the shell.