PDA

View Full Version : Gsi keeps cutting out!

novaman123
14-10-03, 10:13 PM
Hi, has anyone got any ideas what could be causing my 1.6Gsi to cut out at random intervals. I can drive the car for days and it'll run perfect with no probs but then all of a sudden I can be driving along and the engine will just die dash lights will come on and the rev counter will drop to zero. Then, depending on the speed I'm doing knock it down into a lower gear, normally second and it will restart with a couple of pops (like backfires). Please help coz I've just had loads of engine work done (check my spec out for rough list) assuming that it would solve the problem coz it needed the work doing anyway, leaks etc, but it just seems to have made the problem less frequent but not stopped it completely.

Please help its driving me nuts, I no longer fully trust it to get me to Liverpool to uni every day and I've resorted to using my mums Micra!

Before you all take the piss its not funny, driving a Micra is not cool and no fun :!:

dave.gsi
14-10-03, 10:35 PM
i wouldn't leave my car in liverpool :lol:

Chris
15-10-03, 02:29 PM
i had a similar problem in mine. i found it to be the plug that goes onto the bottom of the coil. mine had the metal spring clip missing so it wasn't giving a good contact, it would miss then backfire or die completley. i solved it with insulating tape.

Dare-devil
15-10-03, 02:39 PM
I have a similar problem with my Gsi. Can't find out what the problem is, i have try'd every thing.. :( ( i think LoL )

novaman123
15-10-03, 07:12 PM
cheers noraslater, I've just been to the garage who did the work on it and they had a fiddle and they said that the connections on the coil were corroded so they cleaned them up and it seems to be ok for now but only time will tell if its cured it permanently!!

Chris.

Dare-devil
16-10-03, 08:34 AM
Maybe i should try and have look at mine then. LoL :P

Jules
16-10-03, 07:14 PM
And me aswell then!!
:lol: