PDA

View Full Version : best way to swap engines?

wrigleys
14-10-03, 05:39 PM
what do you guys think is the best way to swap engines?

LIFT the old out and DROP the new one in

OR:

DROP the old one out and PUSH the new one up?

Cheers guys

Dicko
14-10-03, 06:20 PM
out the bottom is usualy easisest. uless u wanna batter your engine bay to bits!!

take off roll/tie bars, pope out driveshafts, then that clears the way for engine.

i usualy lower the car as low as it will go, put blocks of wood under the engine then take it off the mounts, then jack the car right up high and slide engine out!!

Ben
14-10-03, 07:23 PM
Can drop it out the bottom easily enough with anti roll bar, tie bars still attached.

JR Nova
14-10-03, 07:57 PM
as dicko said

a lot quicker than lifting out trying not to damage your engine bay

Tazzy
14-10-03, 10:40 PM
lol, i took an engine out once, the 2.0 8v from my bros astra gte, there was only one way to do it, unattach it from what it was fixed to - driveshafts etc!

then we lifted the front end of the car up in the air by those ramps that are on the back on the 7 tonne trucks, dragged the engine onto a trailer and scrapped the astra!

easy! but seriously, dont go down that road, take the advice from the experts! :lol: :roll:

locky
14-10-03, 11:33 PM
I used ramps!
put a transit wheel under the sump, undo all the bits, n let it drop onto the wheel!
Kept the tie bars on!
easy from underneath!

Tazzy
15-10-03, 03:14 AM
if you intend to strip the engine down, and tune it, surely it would be better to literally take it apart from inside the bay?

Dicko
15-10-03, 08:43 AM
well drain oil/coolant, iv taken a head off before now makes it a lil easier cuz u dont need jack the car up as high. but whats the point taking it apaprt inside the engine bay, all more work really

Ste_Nova
15-10-03, 09:19 AM
mine allways get done from the bottom

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=2228

wrigleys
15-10-03, 05:35 PM
thanks guys!!

Hey ste any chance of some more pics?