PDA

View Full Version : Garage

wisewood
14-10-03, 12:53 PM
I know this is slightly off topic, but it is sort of car related...

I am considering having a garage built, but don't really know where to start - have had a quote from one place for a simple flat roofed 16' x 8' garage for ?865.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a garage built and if so how much it cost - and what dimensions it was.

before anyone suggests it, no i dont want to build one myself and be all satisfied with the result: I wouldnt wanna park my car under anything i had built! especially through the winter bad weather, gets quite windy round the back of my place :lol:

Ste_Nova
14-10-03, 01:03 PM
i'm sure dicko will be along soon... you really want an oversized double garage with 2 single doors pitched roof for storage mucho lighting inside, water (hot and cold) is a bonus as is an electric door

wisewood
14-10-03, 01:06 PM
well yeah all that stuff would be lovely, but for now a simple affordable garage would suffice... not got room for a double garage, got room for wider than normal but not enough for two.

Not measured it all out yet, only really thought of it this morning lol.

Ste_Nova
14-10-03, 01:06 PM
or u can build ur own

http://www.carryduffdesigns.co.uk/garages/index.html

wisewood
14-10-03, 01:09 PM
if it was left to me to construct the thing, apart from it not being safe when finished, it would probably take me three years to finish it... and i am planning on moving in a couple of years anyway.

Alex
14-10-03, 01:31 PM
get ramps and /or a pit in there :D

wisewood
14-10-03, 01:33 PM
i know - i'll buy a caravan to put in the back garden for us to live in... and then i can just have a rolling door fitted to the front of the place and use the flat as the garage instead lol.

Ben
14-10-03, 01:42 PM

Go the whole hog and have a roling road fitted in there as well.

Ste_Nova
14-10-03, 01:50 PM
if you not gonna be there for long just get a static caravan and convert it onto a garage

http://www.croeso-cynnes-wales.co.uk/acc/pgcanol/caravan.jpg

we have some in the field near to us.. after 5 years of no one complaing about them then a house can be built on the plot... pity you would have to be tresspassing to see them :lol:

Dpnova
14-10-03, 01:53 PM

Go the whole hog and have a roling road fitted in there as well.

lmfao : :lol:

so1o
14-10-03, 03:12 PM
building blocks?

Ste_Nova
14-10-03, 03:20 PM
lego... lmfao

Jim
14-10-03, 03:25 PM
Why not just buy a house with a garage, so much easier :D

Jim

wisewood
14-10-03, 03:40 PM
the next one will have a garage, but i figure adding a garage to this place will add to the value and be a bit more practical for keeping the gsi out of the elements, at least next winter if i dont get it done this winter.

olly55
14-10-03, 08:49 PM
865 seems abit cheap, it prob gonna be a pretty simple garage, u wannt summit that gonna stand well to everyhting not jus a wooden frame / breezeblock fabrication u wanna have a 2 tier brickworck and make sure it insulated

Ian
14-10-03, 09:34 PM
hire dan

Neil.
15-10-03, 01:08 AM
could hire him to build ur garage too.

Jules
15-10-03, 09:49 AM
I've not laughed so much at a thread in a long time!!!
Just the idea of turning your house/flat into a full on workshop with rolling road, inspection pit, hot and cold running water and a electric front door whilst living in a pikey caravan out the back!!
ROFLMAO!!!
:lol:

wisewood
15-10-03, 10:52 AM
dont think the neighbours would like me having pikey dan moping about behind my flat :lol: When things went missing they'd be sure to blame him :D

Seriously though - I dont want a garage to use to mod my car in or anything like that - i just want a garage to keep the car out of the weather... nothing fancy is needed so please stop telling me i need hot and cold running water etc because i dont.

Next place i move to i wont even consider unless there is a garage, or at least plenty of room for a garage and a couple of grand off the asking price.

NOVASH
15-10-03, 12:42 PM
my next door neighbour gave me a precast conc garage that was erected on some land behind my house. and it keeps my car nice and dry. yey

wisewood
15-10-03, 12:48 PM
well there is one of those behind my place. it has a broken lift up door...

because its a shared area behind my flat we each have an area of land and allocated parking area or garage. I have the back garden as i am ground foor, and then behind my garden is someones parking space - then the broken garage and then my area, and my area is actually big enough for a double garage, i measured it.

If i had more money i would offer the owners of the parking space and the garage some money for their bits so i could have the whole run right back to the end but cant do that. Might ask if i can use the garage if i fix the door for them though.