PDA

View Full Version : water injection on a derv?

ydg27
14-10-03, 11:44 AM
would it benifit from aqua mist?
and what does it actually do?

Ste_Nova
14-10-03, 12:16 PM
only fit water ing after you have reached the limit of intercooling

ydg27
14-10-03, 05:10 PM
ok now i know when to fit it.

NovaNeil
15-10-03, 12:31 PM
My bhp figure actually went down 10bhp when we did a power run without it!! :o For those who don't know, it doesn't actually add any performance, it just makes the engine safer at higher boost levels by providing in cylinder cooling. But as a result you can increase the timing because there is a lot smaller chance of detonation occuring.

To give you an idea of the difference to the temperatures it makes.....My car runs an inlet temp of about 56 degrees before the water injection cuts in at 10.5psi. Then when it does kick in the Inlet temp drops to 32 degrees!!!

ydg27
16-10-03, 12:17 PM
so would it benefit a diesel and what mods could i do along with the aqua mist e.g. timing wise? (i dont know)
cheers

Ste_Nova
16-10-03, 12:26 PM
To give you an idea of the difference to the temperatures it makes.....My car runs an inlet temp of about 56 degrees before the water injection cuts in at 10.5psi. Then when it does kick in the Inlet temp drops to 32 degrees!!!

why is your inlet so high??? on robs turbo we were never more than 10deg over outside temp

NovaNeil
16-10-03, 12:40 PM
That was on a Rolling Road Ste after hours of mapping..... The fan used to cool the engine was only rated at the equililant of a 30mph wind so we keep having to stop the car and spray water over the intercooler and Rad to stop it heating up too much. On a normal day it probabley runs at around 40-45 degree's. (until the water kicks in off course).

How big was Robs intercooler, just out of interest?

Sorry ydg27, I've never heard of anyone running water injection on a diesel. I can't imagine it would work to well as the diesel engine relies on Compression to ignite and the water would just make it harder to ignite I think........ :?

Ste_Nova
16-10-03, 01:31 PM
eek 40-45 during normal running??

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=2242

ydg27
16-10-03, 02:03 PM
fuck me thats one fuck off huge fucking intercooler- jeeezus
i want one - how much?????

Ste_Nova
16-10-03, 02:23 PM
get one from your local evo breaker

NovaNeil
16-10-03, 03:20 PM
Ha Ha, No wonder it runs just 10 degrees over ambient! Look at the size of the thing! :D And it collects the air without any Obstructions. Mine is half blocked by the bumper and is half the size. :cry:

Never seen that Nova before. You got any more pics of that? It looks V-Nice :P

Ste_Nova
16-10-03, 04:25 PM
Never seen that Nova before. You got any more pics of that? It looks V-Nice :P

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=2243
http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=2244
http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=2245

ydg27
16-10-03, 07:08 PM
thats awesome. talking of evo breakers i have an evo 6 intercooler in the garage and a evo 6 turbo.
my mind is working over time :twisted:

NovaNeil
17-10-03, 06:49 PM
That looks awesome mate! Is it one of your mates cars? I've never seen it in any mags or pics of it before. Get him to get in feature cars on Novaload!!!

Obviously the front cross member had to be cut to get that intercooler in. Do you know if it was re-strengthened afterwards? Or are they ok like it is with a big hole missing?

Cheers

Neil

CP
19-10-03, 09:05 PM
err isnt water injection used to avoid detonation in petrol engines?

:? diesels cant run without detonation - would it still work in a diesel engine the same way as in a petrol engine and would you need it?

Maybe better to use water sprayers on the intercooler to get the charge temperature down?

Ste_Nova
20-10-03, 11:55 AM
That looks awesome mate! Is it one of your mates cars? I've never seen it in any mags or pics of it before. Get him to get in feature cars on Novaload!!!

Neil

cross member is uncut.... he isn't a mag chaser.. and most of the time he doesn't bother with shows either

and why use novaload feature cars when the car has it's own site www.novaspider.co.uk

NovaNeil
20-10-03, 12:38 PM
NICE :mrgreen: I really like this car! Tell him well done for building such a good example.

Ste_Nova
20-10-03, 01:05 PM
Tell him well done for building such a good example.

lol couldn't have done it without my help :twisted:

Aragorn
20-10-03, 03:08 PM
are those leather retrimmed nova seats?

or cav/cally ones?

Ste_Nova
20-10-03, 03:20 PM
cav turbo front

cav turbo leather retrimmed onto spider spec rears