PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Front Bumper....

NovaRoamer
12-10-03, 04:16 PM
I got a smoothed GSi front that was proffessionally done, but when fitting, it doesn't fit right! Basically it sits a bit low under the grille and lights, and the main fixing bolts that go in under the wheel arches, don't go in because the holes are nowhere near lining up! Is this cos it is a mk1 and my car is a mk2? How can I sort it?

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

olly55
12-10-03, 05:02 PM
hmm mthe gsi was a mk2 nova anyway so so long as urs is a mk2 u shudnt have many probs offering it up,

is it a genuine plastic vauxhall bumper or is it a fibreglass copy? coz these can be abit wonky n hard to fit?

has the car ever had an accident and maybe a panel at the front was fitted out of line>?

wat id suggest is take out ur light n grill and offer the bumper up and get it sitting as nice as u can the nfit the grill back and try to mess about trying to get it flush then fit ur headlamps,

mite be worth a go

unless ur car is a mk1 and ur fitti na gsi bumper then ud have to mess about abit but thats not wat ur saying lol. (jus 4 record)

Mark
12-10-03, 06:50 PM
Are you sure it's a GSi Bumper and not a GTE one? - Have you got a pic of it?

ade
12-10-03, 11:14 PM
for some reason mine and other novas I;ve seen have got a strange gap under the lights - the centre of the bumper to the grill matches bang on (tight fit) but for some reason theres about a finger and 1/2's gap - its almost like its dropped on each side!

I could never find out what caused this - tried realigning it, adjusting bolts etc but wouldnt go away.

My car did prev have a standard mk2 bumper on mind - however this shouldnt madke any difference as theyre both mounted the same - the only difference is the gsi bumper is secured to the front wings by plastic push pins.

Dunno if that makes any difference..

Ade
:?

NovaRoamer
14-10-03, 09:26 PM
Well my car is definately a mk2 (J-reg) and the bumper is definately plastic and has been proffessionally smoothed and painted (before I bought it). The fixings at the sides fit, its just the main bolts! Don't know of any accident damage, but it's the same all the way round so a wonky replacement panel seems a bit out of the question too.

If its a gte does that make a difference? I also noticed - my grille has plastic pins that come out of the bottom of it which slotted in2 my old bumper, but there are no holes in this smoothed one: not that it would make a difference anyway as it still sits too low! I think I may have to modify the bottom so it can be pushed up some more and look for other places to do a similar thing. will also take off lights and grille as suggested to have a look see! Is it ok to redrill holes for the bolts to go in under wheel arches? Cos I doubt I will be able to line it up enough for all 4 to go back in.

Will take a picture of it on my car as it is now and try to post it in a couple of days. Cheers for the help so far guys - any more will be gratefully recieved!

Many thanks, Steve.

novaman123
14-10-03, 10:39 PM
Atright mate, by the sounds of it the bumper you've got is a mk1 smoothed gte one coz all of the mk2 Nova bumpers had the holes in for the grill! As regards the metal cross member lining up inside the wings I've taken mine off the bumper fitted it and then offered the bumper up to it. I find that it fits easier and as long as you push it into place properly it's still as secure as normal. Then if your plastic mountings on the outside dont line up you can re-drill them coz its gonna be a lot less work than tryin to re-drill the holes for the cross member bolts

Chris.