PDA

View Full Version : Question about filter !

frillip
11-10-03, 10:16 PM
Right people i know i dont own a nova but own a corsa and have been a member of this site some while but any way heres the question

On a corsa they have the stupid plastic box around the air filter well me and mike wanted to put more air to it so we took it off and cable tied it to the body work any way all im wonderin is... is this ok to do and does it affect or damage the car in ne way?

Aragorn
11-10-03, 10:34 PM
urm doesnt the panel filter sit inside that box?

if uve removed it wouldnt that mean the engines drawing in unfiltered air?

frillip
12-10-03, 12:15 AM
o sorry never explained what we did

we strapped the filter into the holder then cable tied it to the body work so the filter was still there but alot more air was able to get to it

dave.gsi
12-10-03, 12:17 AM
so you took the lid of the airbox?

frillip
12-10-03, 12:22 AM
so basically we have the pipe coming off to a sqaure thign which is holding the air filter in and thats it

mike said he has seen this on other vehicles before?

srs1
12-10-03, 12:53 PM
this is an old trick that can be done on the nova gte, so think it should work for yours. the cheapest way is simply use a hole cuting drill bit about 10mm and just drill holes into the bottom of the panel filters box. go the extra mile and get a performance panel filter.

frillip
12-10-03, 01:14 PM
yeah i know we are doign it as a temporary thign to get more air in and put more pressure on the exhaust so it sounds that tiny bit louder lol

erm nows the problem finder a performance panel filter

srs1
12-10-03, 07:36 PM
there are tonnes of company's that do performance panel filters. look up any comp direct or look at demon tweeks, ripspeed, pvd etc. you should not have a problem getting one.

mikeoxford
12-10-03, 09:23 PM
basically what i did for him as he is on a tight budget (or non existant one till payday!)

was to take the lid off the airbox. strap filter to the bottom of the top cover. leaving it all attached to engine and just strapped the assembly down in place where it goes normally. removing the rest of the sh!t

phil cudnt start the car the other day (for the first time) and his dad said it was because he had put a backbox and we done the filter mod. but i cant see why? i just put it down to the weather & also flooding cos he cudnt start it for 15 mins. and then wen he did it was on the first turn of the key

i know for a fact nothing we have done would cause any damage. i just think it didnt start cos you flooded it phil...........?

it is an ecotec jobby if that effects anything

frillip
12-10-03, 11:01 PM
well well heres an update whilst drivin i was fine tonight... i then pulled over due to the fact i was follwoing my mate and turned off the ignition

tried to restart the car and my car electronics light came on :(

i left the car switched off for around 5 mins and then it started fine so does any body know what is up?

mikeoxford
12-10-03, 11:06 PM
wat light dude??? colour / picture on it??

mikeoxford
12-10-03, 11:07 PM
u no wen u cudnt start it, did the engine still go round?? like whirring wihtout starting? or dead nothing?

frillip
12-10-03, 11:26 PM
yeh the engine whirs etc and also its a pic of an engine with a spark inside it

mikeoxford
13-10-03, 12:09 AM
ill reset ur ECU 2moro C what happens