View Full Version : strange engine running problems

Aragorn
11-10-03, 10:10 PM
ok as some of you know i built a "hybrid" engine using the following parts:

1.4 SPi block (same as SR)
1.6 GTE head skimmed by 15 thou and sorted by CP
1.6 GTE injection system
1.4 SR Cam

few problems that have been there from the start that im wanting to attempt to sort

first one is this:
once its warmed up u cant hold any rpm between 1000 and 3000 in neutral via the pedal or directly at the throttle linkage - if i open throttle sloowly nothing happens for a very small angle of opening then revs start rising slowly so if i then hold it at this position, instead of revs leveling off
they keep climing, all the way to 3k - and if i close the throtttle a microfragment it drops back to idle quickly

second one:
the power band seems all over the shop - 1-3k seem sluggish, 3k-5k seem fine, but >5k seems like uve just flicked NOS switch on or summat - dunno if fuelling is out (its still running the 1.6 settings/mapping) or maybe the ignition timing? (when i first set it up the idle was rough, i rotated the dizzy towards the bulkhead untill the idle smoothed out and stopped there)

cheers for any help

Kevin

Dicko
12-10-03, 08:48 AM
post in tech you fck muppet :twisted:

Mark
12-10-03, 08:49 AM
Now, now Dicko, play nicely.... :D

DUNOVA.
12-10-03, 02:09 PM
Yeah dicko he's only got 1196 posts give him a chance :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aragorn
12-10-03, 07:12 PM
hrm nice one whoever did this

at first i thaught "im a donkey"

then realised - i never visit muppet corner so wtf it doin here - checked the browser history and suprisingly enough there was only one cached "new topic" and it was for forum 1 - ie technical

so who the fuk did this and why? its not like its an unreasonable question - ive put a lot of time and effort into building this thing and i wanna make it run the best i can :evil:

i will now attempt to find someone to move it back :|

locky
12-10-03, 07:16 PM
I advanced my timing too much! try turning it back a bit day by day!
Mine seems to be ok now!

ade
12-10-03, 09:48 PM
I reckon it may need remapping - the engines a hybrid but the fuelings from a 1.6 - any change will alter the fueling wont it? If its running smooth but the bands are wrong its gonna be timing/fuel - or its telling you its not meant to be ( :x )

Spend a bit of cash on a rolling road for 1/2 a day and get them to mess about with it - dunno if they can come up with something.

Theres a rolling road place by me - in Flemington - south side a Glasgow - Robinsons tuning - hes the guy I got me weber from. Think he starts ?70 for rolling road...

Ade
:?:

Serialkilla
13-10-03, 12:01 AM
I reckon its fueling problem cause your basically runing a 1.4 engine with a 1.6 head and fuel system.

The way to over come this problem remap the ecu or the cheaper option stick a 1.6 cam back.

Aragorn
13-10-03, 03:48 PM
cool ade cheers - didnt know there were any round ere

ive just had a pm from bad_boy_nova with the same symptoms on his cept he has a proper GTE so might well be the same issue?

so any other ideas as to what would cause this?

cheers

bad_boy_nova
13-10-03, 03:57 PM
My guess is the Bosch Jetronic Air Flow Meter being faulty and giving wrong readings. Does anyone agree?

Ste_Nova
13-10-03, 04:01 PM
you guessed the timing????

the capacity won't matter cause it will work on flowed air

Dicko
13-10-03, 04:06 PM
hehe

u moved it clockwise til it sounded ok? try moving it a few degrees back!!

bad_boy_nova
13-10-03, 04:18 PM
ste_sa Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:01 pm

you guessed the timing????

the capacity won't matter cause it will work on flowed air

Dicko Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:06 pm

hehe

u moved it clockwise til it sounded ok? try moving it a few degrees back!!

Are these two comments aimed at me? Ive not adjusted any timing! I said it could be a faulty air flow meter because they always go faulty and are prone for giving wrong voltage readings.

Aragorn
13-10-03, 09:25 PM
it was aimed at me - look at my original post and u'll see the refrences

ill try knocking the timing back a bit and if taht dont sort it ill swap out the afm

im still gonna try n get it on a rolling road cos im certain its overfuelling under medium to high load

mikeoxford
13-10-03, 11:29 PM
i still sitck by timing. said that to you all along matey. probly wrong but who cares im willing to place a bet on it :roll:

what are the odds?