PDA

View Full Version : cams

srs1
10-10-03, 07:03 PM
i am going to get my cam soon. mike keeps going on about the ast2. and no one seems to disagree.
should i buy th e full cam kit or just the cam. i have no idea on this.
it's for a gte.

cheers for advice.

peester
10-10-03, 07:20 PM
well an ast2 cam shaft is about ?160. then cam followers (?70ish) are vital too. so minimum cost there is ?230ish. a cam kit retails at around 250-260ish in addition to above you get guides/lifters/lube/springs/belt all extras all in. so worth getting kit i suppose. someone will soon tell me if im wrong.

Jim
10-10-03, 08:08 PM
Really your going to need to get head work done in order to get the most out of your cam.

The AST2 Cam is good, but Piper do a wiper selection of cams that might suit your cars engine.

Whats your current engine set up at the moment?

A bit more information would be nice so that people could advise you on what Cam would be most beneficial to your car.

Jim

srs1
11-10-03, 08:14 PM
sorry i aint replied. the forum was showing no views or replys.
car as it stands has:-
pipercross air filter, ashley exhaust (full system), manifold, fse boost valve, bosch super four plugs.
cheers

mikeoxford
11-10-03, 09:19 PM
i didnt know your engine spec.

i am obviously biased as its the ast2 cam that works so well for me.

velos repeatedly reccomend it.

dan uses it.

so why should i say a bad thing about it?

what i will say is based on your spec it MIGHT be a bit too lairy for your mods.....?

ast2 goes so well with twin 40s. especially with headwork.

srs1
12-10-03, 12:49 PM
i weren't having a dig mike. it was cause i seen you recomended it that made me think it was a good one to go for.
i aint planning of going for twin fortys as got to save for house.
what would you suggest then. i def am getting it done as i want the extra power without having to sell my kidney on the black market.
everyones input is appreciated. thanks

Aragorn
12-10-03, 01:05 PM
u wont be able to run a ast2 cam or any long duration cam for that matter on the standard gte injection

there is some issue with the AFM and the pulses caused by the cam and means u cant use wild cams on it (ast2 is 295 iirc)

i think 265 or 275 is about as wild as u can go with it

mikeoxford
12-10-03, 09:25 PM
i weren't having a dig mike. it was cause i seen you recomended it that made me think it was a good one to go for.
i aint planning of going for twin fortys as got to save for house.
what would you suggest then. i def am getting it done as i want the extra power without having to sell my kidney on the black market.
everyones input is appreciated. thanks

hey i know! probly took the wrong tone in my reply - and didnt mean to.

didnt mean it to come across like that :D

as jim says the piper range is more extensive - why not try one of those....?

steve-o
12-10-03, 11:39 PM
i had a AST1 cam kit and was very happy with it

ben83
23-10-03, 08:04 PM
i have an enem cam. 320 degree inlet and 300 degree exhaust on an otherwise standard GTE engine. it seems to run fine so far and sounds great