PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between front splitters?

Tazzy
09-10-03, 10:59 PM
I am after a front splitter but have noticed different designs and styles, they obviously all have a different function, but what is best suited?

A Cordoba splitter has many holes in it, therefore, air goes straight through it, but the air does wrap around the bottom bit and pull down,
The GTE one for example, is flat, therefore the wind hits it but doesn’t go anywhere, both are of similer width!

So which reduces the amount of air going under the car, and which doesn’t work?

Cheerz!

Jules
09-10-03, 11:03 PM
None of them will make any noticeable difference to the performance of your Nova, they are a cosmetic item more than anything.

Tazzy
09-10-03, 11:11 PM
i understand im not gonna gain an extra 50% of horses from the splitter, but which one actually benfts more? i cant see the logic in puttin huge holes into a splitter, something thats meant o be a design quality...

im unsure of which one to put on the mk2 bumper as i intend to keep it!

Jim
10-10-03, 09:51 AM
I've got the Seat Ibiza Splitter. It originally comes with just 2 of the holes cut out. I'll probably get the other holes cut out so that it all looks even.

I think the holes were made so that in the event of the car breaking down there would be somewhere to thread the tow rope. Another reason that the holes were cut out is probably because they use the plastic that was cut out from the holes to mold another bumper. It's a case of trying to save money on materials by recycling.

I've had both the Renault laguna splitter and Seat Ibiza splitter on my car (not at the same time) and I have to say I prefer the Seat Ibiza splitter. It's deeper (thus making your car look lower) and it fits round the bumper better (no need to cut it in the middle and then join it again).

There are other types of splitter, but I think the Seat one suits the Mk2 front bumper really well.

Jim

mikeoxford
11-10-03, 09:31 PM
going on jims point........

laguna splitter fits a mk2 bumper alright.

its fitting it to the GSi bumper thats a pain cos the corners are tighter / sharper

Alex
11-10-03, 09:41 PM
Try hiring time in a wind tunnel and test you car with the splitter firstly off, then try the two splitters seperately. Whichever gives you the biggest bhp gains leave on :lol:

Stuart
11-10-03, 09:43 PM
only noticeable if you have the angle of the dangle setup in a wind tunnel to achice a drag coeffcient of 0 :)

Tazzy
12-10-03, 02:09 PM
what do you think of the GTE bototm end blended onto the mk2 bumper?

and if there is any room left underneath, i might add an rgm splitter as well! :)

Jules
12-10-03, 09:40 PM
I think it'll look lovely*

*If it's the 'snow plough' look you're going after!!!

:wink:

dave.gsi
12-10-03, 10:33 PM
:lol: had to get out the glasses to read that

go for a laguna one.

ade
12-10-03, 11:10 PM
how lows the car? Depending on which bumper and the ride height will determine the most "practicle" splitter

If you have a gsi mk2 fron bumper (better sort) thats about 3cm deeper than the standard mk2 bumper so a seat Ibiza GTE splitter for example will be about 2.5" off the floor - literally! So if you have any speed bumps, pot holes, even ramps like in car parks - expect the get grounded and damage it in less than 6 months! Go for renault espace (I think) splitter - looks similar and is about 1" less deep which is alot when your live in a n uneven road area!

Thats what i did and have had no probs!

Standard mk2 bumper defo Seat Ibiza GTE splitter

Ade

Tazzy
13-10-03, 10:56 PM
LOL, yes Jules, i am! :lol: (i had to paste it into word and inlarge it!)

im not having side skirts (so the m3's might be for sale) and im not adding anything to the rear bumper, althugh i might add the c*treon BX boot spoiler onto it!

its a mk2 bumper, its been lowered 40mm, but i want to get it even lower!

i will already have difficulty as my drive way is on a steep sloap, i would be able to show the gradient of the driveway if i could load pics!

does the GTe fit well onto the mk2? its a toss up between that and the cordoba!

cheerz!

but yes, i do want it lowwwwwww!

corsa gt
13-10-03, 11:56 PM
LOL, yes Jules, i am! :lol: (i had to paste it into word and inlarge it!)

Ever heard of Notepad? 8)

Cheers!

dave.gsi
13-10-03, 11:57 PM
thats what i used

Tazzy
14-10-03, 12:40 AM
i have but i dont use it!

epo
14-10-03, 11:07 AM
i just clicked on quote and it was the right size :lol:

krobinson
15-10-03, 12:13 AM
All this small writing is way too hard to see!

Mark
15-10-03, 07:00 AM

Lol just click 'quote' and read it....lol

Jules
15-10-03, 09:00 AM

I agree but let's see what size 1 looks like shall we?! LOL!!

:o

epo
15-10-03, 09:07 AM

I agree but let's see what size 1 looks like shall we?! LOL!!

:o

pmsl

Tazzy
15-10-03, 08:45 PM
Enough Already...

Mark
15-10-03, 11:21 PM
Indeed, your all crazy!!.....lol

SupaNovaBoyRacer
29-10-03, 09:43 PM
well,i just pasted into the web bar thing,cudnt b arsed openin ne thin up