PDA

View Full Version : Ok then engine Re-build???

Barn
09-10-03, 12:29 PM
what exactly does this mean ppl?

wisewood
09-10-03, 12:42 PM
stripping down the engine and rubuilding it so its all shiney and new

ade
09-10-03, 02:52 PM
or stripping ther car down and rebuilding it.

People take their cars apart for various reasons. I rebuilt mine last year after it was rusting badly in places - cleaned up rust - rebuilt it - but during rebuild I upgraded it from a standard 1.2 to a GSi.

Others take their cars apart to find out what makes them tick!

Half the fun is rebuilding it and finding the bag of "nuts n bolts" at the end!

Ade

Jules
09-10-03, 03:34 PM
Or rebuilding your garden shed if it get's damaged for example.

wisewood
09-10-03, 03:43 PM
to answer the question in its purest form...

Re-build means to build something again. :D

?Marty?
09-10-03, 04:23 PM
it's like lego.

Barn
09-10-03, 06:52 PM
so basically if u 'rebuilt' an engine u would take it all apart then what.... clean it all up inside and put it back together?
buy new parts?

just that I thought I'd ask as I was never to sure what u all meant by it

locky
09-10-03, 07:07 PM
Strip the engine apart, look 2 see wot parts are worn, what can be kept, e.t.c, fit new seals, gaskets, e.t.c,
Thats basically it!

peester
09-10-03, 09:14 PM
thats the trouble with the word 'rebuilt/rebuild' some people might call a simple cylinder head crack test and skim with new gasket set a rebuild, it is a rebuild but well, not a proper rebuild. tappets/lifters/springs/valves/ pipes? etc. anyways- that would only be classed as a top-end rebuild. do the crank, block then you got a full rebuild. in my book anyway.

Serialkilla
10-10-03, 01:43 AM
Yer there is 3 diferent types of rebuilds:-

1st:- Top end rebuild. e.g... cylinder head up, all gaskets/seals, valves etc.

2nd:- Bottom end rebuild. e.g... Crank seals, big end bearing shells and main bearing shells etc.

3rd:- Full engine rebuild. e.g... do all in 1 and 2 at the same time.

CP
10-10-03, 09:05 AM
Top end re-build. Likely reasons - burning oil = often valve stem oil seals knackered. Head gasket gone. Running shit due to cam badly worn. Performance modding.

Take cylinder head off, thoroughly clean and:
1. Remove cam ( Check for wear andreplace as necessary -aka CWR)
2. Replace followers if a new cam is needed
3. CWR hydraulic followers
4. Valves and vavle seats De- coke, CWR or recut into seats
5. De-coke head, pressure test and lightly skim.
6. Valve guides CWR.
7. Cam shaft seals replace plus all associated gaskets - usually come in a kit with the head gasket.
8. Valve stem oil seals - replace
9. Check oil pick up gauze in sump if cam worn badly as it maybe clogged

Bottom end rebuild. Likely reason - burning oil together with low compression= worn bores and rings. Knocking noises = piston slap -worn bores etc. Low oil pressure= oil pump worn plus main and big end bearings -big ends knocking.

1. Remove engine from car and gearbox
2. Remove head and all anciliaries so all you have is the main part of the engine left below the head.
3. Remove sump
4. undo big end bolt and remove each piston.
5. undo main bearings and associated oilpump housing and remove crankshaft. KEEP ALL BOLTS AND PISTONS NUMBERED AND IN ORDER!
6. Take to an engineer ( or do it yourself if you are 1 :lol: )
7. He will check all bearing surfaces for wear. Usually the crank is re polished if slightly worn or re-ground to suit larger new oversized bearings if well worn.
8. Check pistons/bores for wear. Usually new over sized pistons are fitted and the holes they go in ( the bores) are enlarged. How much is dependant on wear or whether you want xtra cc's for more power. 1.4, 1.6 etc have 2 oversizes quoted. New matching rings that make the pistons seal in the bores are always fitted with a re-bore
9. Re-assemble with new seals on crank etc etc. Quite tricky and needs to be done right. Let the engineer do it unless you have put new pistons back in b4 etc.

When this is done you have a new engine for all practical purposes