PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1.5TD - Intercooler

gallax
09-10-03, 09:32 AM
Hello,
I have a 1.5TD nova and I'm curious if 'adding' an intercooler will make a noticeable improvement.
BTW, how can you 'measure' how many BHP your engine have? is it just a mathematical question?
And the third question - does anybody know about this engine's specifications (max torque, etc).
Thank you for your time!

Best Regards!

Dicko
09-10-03, 10:15 AM
you can use an intercooler off a frontera TD, but not worth it unless you have turned up the boost alot. they are very tunable engines!!

gallax
09-10-03, 10:42 AM
Thanks!

you can use an intercooler off a frontera TD, but not worth it unless you have turned up the boost alot. they are very tunable engines!!

If I have "turned up the boost" (I think it's a recent post about this), can you tell me what do I win/loose? Will the engine wear out faster or the mileage increase dramatically?

I was thinking about "intercooler" because it seems less "intrusive" :)

Best regards!

Dicko
09-10-03, 11:56 AM
you can turn up the boost a little and it will have little effect on the life span of the engine. However if you turn it up a fiar bit dont use the boost excessively without an intercooler.

wisewood
09-10-03, 11:59 AM
or the mileage increase dramatically?

only way to increase mileage is to drive further.

gallax
09-10-03, 01:33 PM
only way to increase mileage is to drive further.

I meant fuel/mile... :oops:

Dicko
09-10-03, 01:35 PM
so the economy.

will only decrease economy when your using the boost, as thats all you have changed ;)

gallax
09-10-03, 01:53 PM
Now my car uses 4.5 litres (1 gallon) per 100km (62 miles).
I don't know what to expect from a 'boosted' engine: an increase of fuel 'wasted' of 10-20% or more?
Will the engine 'waste' more fuel all the time, or just when I step on the gas :D?

Thank you all for support!

ydg27
09-10-03, 02:29 PM
just when your boosting, mine is doing 240miles to 20 quid so i think its quite good.
are you sure the frontera intercooler fits cos they are really BIG intercoolers aint they?? and the td radsd are huge

Dicko
09-10-03, 02:37 PM
i thought the rad cooled engine and intercooler cooled the boost going into engine :? i MIGHt be wrong on the frontera thingy :P

ydg27
09-10-03, 02:49 PM
the nova td rad is huge they fill the front end so you can tget the boost pipes down the sides, and the intercooler needs to sit in front of the rad.

Dicko
09-10-03, 02:55 PM
this is true, so have it sticking out passenger wing :) or bonnet vents ;)

gallax
09-10-03, 03:02 PM
this is true, so have it sticking out passenger wing :) or bonnet vents ;)
Passenger wing... Seems pretty ugly... :(.
What do you think about the spoiler?

Ste_Nova
09-10-03, 06:04 PM
take the intercooler pipes through the front valance easy job to fit one

ydg27
09-10-03, 06:31 PM
cut through the front valance?
isn't that in intergral & vital part of the strength of the car?
that would be a huge job cos it would be a big hole that needs re-inforcing wouldn't it?

Ste_Nova
09-10-03, 09:31 PM
no not if you cut through the end sections where the wings attach

mikeoxford
09-10-03, 10:51 PM
*waits for a picutre of a white nova with blue samco hoses through the valence and a h00j intercoooler to appear*

Ste_Nova
10-10-03, 12:02 PM
*waits for a picutre of a white nova with blue samco hoses through the valence and a h00j intercoooler to appear*

lol u got a long wait :P

ydg27
10-10-03, 04:36 PM
all i am doing now is rooting the pipes through the bottom of the front bumper and having the intercooler sticking out a little bit in front of the bumper, with the back part of the intercooler recessed into the bumper, get more air flow than that. 8)