PDA

View Full Version : No-nonsense 2ltr Conversion

dj-stryke
08-10-03, 10:36 PM
Have the money all sorted for ideally a 2ltr 16v conversion. I know as much as I need to do a lot of welding in the bay, and a doner car seems to be the best way to do it.

I'm here for two reasons.

If anyone can offer me a good service, or reccomend anyone who can do me a good 2ltr conversion. I'm not going to turn the Nova into a show car, but I don't want it breaking, after driving it home. So, I'm not after an expensive job, but one which is going to be 'efficient'.

The other reason for being here, is to generally get feedback on the conversion. I'm certain people can put me off of them, as easily as people can make me rush out and get started, tonite! So, a mix of views on the Astra GTE mk2 conversion...what should I expect performance and figure wise out of a stockey 2ltr in my Nova, which is stripped out? I'm kind of expecting 7seconds to 60, and about 120mph with 160hp (induction and exhaust).

Is ?1000 for the whole conversion, including welding, fitting (with kit), cost of doner car and set-up a fair price? It seems good, from a trusty source...but he's suggesting it'll take a month as a Private Job.

Any help, much apreciated. I'm sure you hardcore guys get it all a lot on here, but this is genuine inqusitism.

Serialkilla
08-10-03, 11:07 PM
There's a few companies out there that do professional conversion, they do everything welding fitting wiring pluming. But they cost in the region of ?3K and don't supply engine , gearbox or loom and ecu.

www.justnovas.co.uk do fitting work including the welding.

Or

Have a look through Total Vauxhall see if anyone is advertising in there for fitting.

Slatter
09-10-03, 12:06 AM
get in touch with ste_sa im sure he will do it all for 1k in a couple of days !!!!

Ste_Nova
09-10-03, 06:06 PM
120mph :lol: :lol: and the rest

http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/1049big7.jpg

geordie_racer
09-10-03, 06:23 PM
if your looking towards the new year for doing it then my company should be able to do it general cost is around the 1k mark including all work and collection/delivery

chris

Ste_Nova
09-10-03, 06:30 PM
if your looking towards the new year for doing it then my company should be able to do it general cost is around the 1k mark including all work and collection/delivery

chris

what is your company?? what does ?1000 include?

geordie_racer
09-10-03, 06:40 PM
roughly 1k includes,

all welding,
properly made box in the wing for alternator,
rebuilt engine,
ancilleries,
air filter,
labour,
collection/delivery

think that covers the lot and it will include a guarentee but this is still under review at the minute as the company is still in its infancy hence im tryin to project all work for the new year. and the company is called thompson automotive

chris

Jim
09-10-03, 07:05 PM
Theres a couple of guys on this site that go by the usernames of CP and MC. They have recently done a 2.0 conversion and (no direspect to anyone else) I would always take my car to either of them for any work. MC is currently doing work to my 1.6 8v, but both of them are more than capable of doing the 2.0 16v conversion.

I'm not sure on prices, you'd have to send them a Private Message.

Jim

Ste_Nova
09-10-03, 09:05 PM
roughly 1k includes,

all welding,
properly made box in the wing for alternator,
rebuilt engine,
ancilleries,
air filter,
labour,
collection/delivery

chris

how many conversions have you done, do you have any examples of your work?

Ste_Nova
09-10-03, 09:06 PM
They have recently done a 2.0 conversion and (no direspect to anyone else) I would always take my car to either of them for any work.

"a 2.0 conversion" just one? :lol:

cp and mc are not local to everyone :roll:

Stuart
09-10-03, 10:22 PM
they are more local to watford than you are ste lol

geordie_racer
10-10-03, 12:25 AM
ive done r been involved in a variety of engine conversions have done,

3 valvers into novas
1 valver into cav
1.6 vtr into a citroen ax
1.6 vtr into a saxo 1.1
most vaux small blocks
1.6 turbo into crx
s16 into peugeot 306
and a few others aswell

ive just finished my website hope to have it up soon

chris

Serialkilla
10-10-03, 01:06 AM
Geordie_racer do you do 16v turbo (c20let) engine conversions into Novas as well?

dan_mk1
10-10-03, 10:23 AM
www.justnovas.co.uk do fitting work including the welding.

DONT use justnova's! proper bodge jobbers!

Ste_Nova
10-10-03, 11:55 AM
ive just finished my website hope to have it up soon

chris

any turbo novas??? do you have a workshop?

wisewood
10-10-03, 12:43 PM
lmfao - nobody expects the spanish inquisition.

Ste_Nova
10-10-03, 12:48 PM
lmfao - nobody expects the spanish inquisition.

well he offers collection and del... so he turns up at your house and takes your car... and all he has is a website to back it up?? does he has fully comp trade insurance and trade plates? what other gimps will be allowed to drive your car

Will
10-10-03, 12:59 PM
fair enough qn

my advice

courtnay do a nice conversion for 4k all in

lmfao :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dont get a valver handling will never be like a small block 8v

Ste_Nova
10-10-03, 01:09 PM
fair enough qn

dont get a valver handling will never be like a small block 8v

show me a 300bhp+ small block?

also u can get alloy 20xe blocks now and there is loads of weight u can move out of the bay

Barn
10-10-03, 01:52 PM
are they expensive ste?

Stuart
10-10-03, 02:17 PM
i belive my mate was offered one about 12months ago for ?3K lol

Barn
10-10-03, 02:33 PM
:o not much then. sound nice tho dun they

dj-stryke
10-10-03, 06:08 PM
Ok, I've located an engine with 70k on the clock from a reliable source. I'm putting a deposit down tomorow - and it's everything I need to do the conversion.

The guy who I'm buying the engine off has done a couple of valver conversions, but has done a fair bit of outrageous stuff too.

Only problem is, he's looking to take about a month doing the conversion as a private job, away from work - and I'm not sure if I can wait that long! But he is offering me a good price - set-up, welding the lot to get it running for a further ?500. Sounds fair to me - but again the length for the conversion is quite battering.

Cheers for everyone that's responded, and I'll contact everyone who's been mentioned.

And as for handling, does any Nova handle well? I'm not doing competition, all I really want to do is a few quarter mile days for fun and I want some power on the road to keep me safe...

Any more statistics for a standard GTE lump in a Nova? I'm curious about 0-60 times and quarter mile times...?

Jim
10-10-03, 06:20 PM
show me a 300bhp+ small block?

Show me a 300bhp+ FWD Nova that will get the power down :|

Any more statistics for a standard GTE lump in a Nova? I'm curious about 0-60 times and quarter mile times...?

A Standard Astra Gte lump? I'm estimating around 6.5 - 7.0 seconds to 60 and 14.8 up the 1/4 mile strip.

All depends on how you drive your car.

Jim

geordie_racer
10-10-03, 07:19 PM
the questions are all very valid gettin used to them now. yes my company has a workshop tho im not actually in it at the minute as id have to pay rent if i was but just securing it is costin me nothing. ive done 1 turbo conversion in a nova but it was a mate so i havent actually priced one up yet, also to do with collection.delivery etc im having legal contracts sorted out so that i become fully liable in court if anything happens to your car in my possession. no one will drive the car apart from me obviously to get it round the workshop. as for insurance my work vehciles are insured for use with trailers etc.
chris

dj-stryke
11-10-03, 08:06 PM
Met one of the guys offering to fit the engine for me today, and he reckons I'll need a fitting kit for ?450, to make it a worthey job.

I'm just wondering if ?450 is a fixed price, or are there some bits in the kit which arn't actually needed?

Slatter
12-10-03, 12:35 PM
sounds like a PVD fitting kit for 450 :o

Ive seen whats in one

I wouldnt bother personally

It took me 4 hrs to get my valver engine bolted into place.

ANd ive done a nice job with it.... Just get washers to space out the gearbox mount .. and drill spotwwelds out of o/s front mount.

Get car level .... Get engine level and weld the front mount back in !!!

Easy as that ( oh and 1 phone call to ste ) :lol:

geordie_racer
12-10-03, 12:49 PM
or if you dont fancy reweldin your mounts, go to www.valvers.com and buy a set of mounts of brian there only ?40 and then youll only need driveshafts from a nova gte and 1.6 cav inner cv's and a few other little bits n pieces but you should be able to get all the parts for ?150 max

chris

Ste_Nova
12-10-03, 06:12 PM
ANd ive done a nice job with it.... Just get washers to space out the gearbox mount ..

Easy as that ( oh and 1 phone call to ste ) :lol:

i didn't know u had called me :?

errr... washers?? u only using a 2 bolt setup?? i recomend you change it asap espsically if you are using a comp mount on the rear... i've had 3 cases of bolts shearing due to exess load, i currently mod the bolt on mount by grinding a section off one side and adding washers to the other

?Marty?
14-10-03, 01:54 AM
Hey Ste, how much would you charge me for a 2 litre 16 valve conversion? What would i need to supply/have done already, if anything?

And how long, roughly, would it take you to do it?

Ste_Nova
14-10-03, 10:32 AM
Hey Ste, how much would you charge me for a 2 litre 16 valve conversion? What would i need to supply/have done already, if anything?

And how long, roughly, would it take you to do it?

you supply everything... you do the work.... i will supervise and advise as needed and charge ?100, it will take you 2 days to do it

Tazzy
14-10-03, 11:53 PM
you supply everything... you do the work.... i will supervise and advise as needed and charge ?100, it will take you 2 days to do it

im sorry, but if youre being serious, thats a good deal!

paying 100 lizzies to be tought on how to fit a conversion, thats a deal!

mags dont give enough detail on everything needed to know, and ot pay someone else to do it, youre looking at loads!

but to do it yourself without giudance will cost you loads if it goes t!ts up!

so for someone who knows what they are doing to give giudance as you do it is a deal and a half!

my bro has a 2.0 8v which i want from him, (it is for sale!) if i can prise it from his hands, ill give you a PM!

?Marty?
15-10-03, 01:30 AM
fair enough i guess.

Ste_Nova
15-10-03, 09:21 AM
fair enough i guess.

stop moaning :lol:

?Marty?
16-10-03, 04:04 AM
lol

i'm fuckin lazy though!

It's like, hmmm 'spend ?20 on having....done for me', or take a few minutes doing it myself, and have to wash my hands. lol

Nah, i actually enjoy meachanical work, and am quite competent at it, but i dont even have a garage. I would actually prefer to do my own conversion than pay someone to do it. And think i could do it without too much trouble.

Migh price up renting a lock up for a few weeks/month, and etc. But i'd need a welder (and have never welded before, so would need to learn) and a winch to lift the engine out/new one in, so it'd prob end up costing not much less than paying someone, and i work as a Restaurant Manager at the moment, so it's very difficult to get time to do anything (esp with it coming up to the Christmas season).

Tho it's the ''nice engine mate, who did that'' that i'm more bothered about. ''I did it myself pal'', is far better.