PDA

View Full Version : Changing complete wiring loom from mk1 Nova to mk2

Metromartin
08-10-03, 04:11 PM
Hi all,

My mate has a E reg mk1 Nova and we have aquired a complete Nova face lift facia. It looks so much better than the mk1 but on the how to guide you need to cut alot of the wires to fit the new switchs.
So are the connetors on things like the alternator, feul tank sensor, fusebox compatable for mk1 and mk2 connetors or is changing the complete car loom a hard way of doing this as this would also give the glove box lamp, cigar lighter and adjustable headlight wires (as mk2 front is to follow, done the bumpers :)

Also will the mk1 heater cables clips on the mk2 style switchs :?:

Cheers

Martin

geordie_racer
08-10-03, 04:51 PM
when you say facia i assume u mean the dashboard? if so the heater cables will be fine. only a couple of switches need changing, the rest will the connectors will fit the new switch. the ones that do need cutting generally match up color to colr its easy enough to do but does look daunting
chris

Metromartin
09-10-03, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the quick reply,

Just out of intrest what switchs do the wires need cutting? Fog lamp switch I think is one. As I will need the connetors for the switchs, are they the same in the corsa, cav & astra of same age incase there are no Nova's in the scrapyard?

Also the radio seems to feed by a wire coming of the heater switch, is there a better power source that can be used as when removing the radio it often disconnets here and you need to remove that centrol pannel on the mk1? which we found the well hiddern screw holes behind the vents after being puzzeled for ages!!

Plus, where the best place to wire the glove box lamp too?

TIA

Martin

geordie_racer
09-10-03, 05:46 PM
switches im not sure what ones ull need but i have a whole spare mk2 dash so if you find you need something let me no. foglight switch may well need doing pretty sure the hazzard switch does aswell but its awhile since i did one. it is pretty straight forward tho i did my 1st one in two hours.

the stereo should have its own section loom somewhere behind there, with its own permenant live and stuff all properly fused. on your mk1 dash all the wiring will be above the heater bits behind the dash but shouldnt b connected to them in anyway you mite need to extend the stereo wires tho as it sits lower down on the mk2 dash

the wiring for the glovebox lamp will already be there it will just be taped up in the wiring loom behind the glovebox somewhere

hope this helps it is quite straight forward when you start doing it
chris

ChronoCabal
09-10-03, 10:44 PM
Hey, this is my car you're talking about! :D

Thanks for the offer of the Mk2 parts Chris, we'll bear that in mind if we have troublke getting hold of any bits. So far we've been quite lucky, the part dash was given free to me, and recently there have been a lot of Mk2's down our local scrappy.

We've already found out that many of the connectors are the same - I've now got a Mk2 Light switch on my Mk1 as an incentive to do the whole thing :P

I'm currently in the procress of doing a full a full Mk2 conversion - If anyone has any parts going, please let me know.

Cheers,

Lee

Metromartin
09-10-03, 11:23 PM
Hi chris

Looked for the glove box lamp wires but sadly I couldn't find them as we are going to stick with the mk1 loom for now. Also are the cigar lighter wires hanging around because I have added one powered by the radio supply which isn't the best way to do it.

TIA

Martin

Metromartin
09-10-03, 11:28 PM
Also, wheres the rear wiper switch on the mk2 dash or is it on the wiper stalk? Mabey fitting the mk1 switch where the headlamp adjustment switch goes is way round this?

Martin

geordie_racer
10-10-03, 12:00 AM
yes the rear wipe is on the stalk, get a set of stalks from a cav or mk3 astra much nicer and cheap. to put the wiper on the stalk u need about 10cm of wiring from the old wiring to the place on the stalk.

as for the glovebox light mine was definately there cos i only found it after id ran my own cables, if youre sure its not the cut into the wiring for a bulb behind the dash like the ones used to illuminate the heater controls then the light will only work when your headlights are on. i wired my cigarette lighter off my stereo aswell ive had no problems just need to be careful to make sure it diesnt get trapped when putting the stereo in, i just cable tired the loose wire to the stereo wiring.

if u can find a decent supply of mk2's then get the hazzard switches if they work as people are always lookin for them.

you should easily b able to do the conversion in a day just take ur time and think about it and label the wires b4 u cut them

chris