PDA

View Full Version : FAO Plumbers / DIY boffs.

wisewood
08-10-03, 02:24 PM
My central heating pump has packed in, and obviously this is not the time of year to delay in getting a new one.

I have plumbed in a new bathroom suite myself so am confident i could fit one, since it's only two pipes and a power supply - the question is, how much is a new one gonna cost roughly > and is there anything in particular that i should know about any of them before i buy one?

so1o
08-10-03, 02:28 PM
very talented mate, but be a bit vary, i was considering doing a corgi heating course and had a chat with a corgi qualified engineer, to cut a long story short, very very dangerous, he said in order to pass the course u cannot make a single mistake in installing etc. hope u know what ur doing mate.

wisewood
08-10-03, 02:37 PM
corgi qualification deals with gas too > would play with gas pipes but water is easy, if its leaking you can see it and just switch it off and start again, no real harm done.

Made a lot of watery mess in the bathroom at first - no big deal, wipe it up and start again. It's all in the name of learning and good fun.

Wanna end up with kids eventaully and be the sort of dad who can show em how to do stuff, not gonna learn it unless i try it am i :D

So - anyone know the answer?

Jim
08-10-03, 03:21 PM
Sorry Andy I don't know. All I know is that my central heating wasnt working, called a plumber out last night, he had a look at the tank upstairs, opened up the 3 part valve and "hey presto" we had hot water :D He didn't charge for the call out or for fixing it :D Needless to say I shall be keeping hold of his number as good plumbers are like gold dust these days.

Hope you get it sorted soon, no heating is a b***h especially in this weather :(

Jim

wisewood
08-10-03, 03:32 PM
its gotta be the pump, have narrowed it own that far.

Drained the entire system twice and cleared out loads of radiator sludge which was nice :lol: Cats kept eyeing it up for a drink, idiots!

when the pump is switched on it doesnt do anything except hum and gets really hot, then if left long enough it will make a vibrating rattle type noise thats loud enough to wake me up (not easy to do).

So must be the pump, just need to know what a good pump is really lol.
am guessing probably about 150 quid > gonna try looking at Wickes later see if they have owt.

benji
08-10-03, 04:48 PM
have you made sure all the valves are open? what system do you have. if you have a 3 port valve you can check if it's that by moving the lever on the side of it to 'manual'. if it is your pump they are dead easy to fit and the wiring is just like connecting a plug

the prob's you described are because the pipes are getting too hot, either because the pump is not shifting the water or because it's shifting it but there is nowhere for it to go.

hope this helps.

i'm not a plumber, i'm a spark, but i will be able to get trade discount on a pump if you want me to try. don't know a price off the top of my head.
If you want one let me know

jkhilton
08-10-03, 05:43 PM
*ahem* muppet corner! lmao! :P

this is not general car chat!! lol :lol:

Stuart
08-10-03, 05:53 PM
Wanna end up with kids eventaully and be the sort of dad who can show em how to do stuff

"daddy how do I become a post slag?" "ahh thats easy Jnr, just follow daddies easy plan"

"daddy how do i change the oil in my car?" "take it to the garage" lol

dan16v
08-10-03, 06:06 PM
make sure you use boss white on the threads of the pump!

Ste_Nova
08-10-03, 06:34 PM
oil? gas? solids?

the pump should have an override on it to give it a push start ususlly a large flat screwdriver will fit

if u flushing sludge then watch out rads may be rusting through and may leak

?Marty?
09-10-03, 12:27 AM
Wanna end up with kids eventaully and be the sort of dad who can show em how to do stuff, not gonna learn it unless i try it am i

It's easy! Insert penis in hole, pump till you squirt, and hey presto! lol

wisewood
09-10-03, 10:22 AM
thanks for the HELPFUL advice people. :D

didnt get chance to go check out anything last night so will have a look about tonight, dad phoned me last night and pointed me in the direction of a good plumbing suppliers that he has used before. :D So should be ok.

?Marty?
09-10-03, 04:40 PM
you're very welcome. i'm here to help. :D

next!

epo
09-10-03, 06:40 PM
tbh mate i wudnt buy a pump from wicks id go sum where like amco theyve got a few places in south yorkshire
i went 2 wicks 2 price up some electrical gear and they were well expensive in comparision 2 proper wholesalers

Slatter
09-10-03, 07:27 PM
i dunno whether neone has said this ...

but have u tried bleeding the system ...

Think wot u do when u bleed car brakes ....to get the air out !

wisewood
10-10-03, 11:02 AM
yeah i've done that slatter, done it twice now actually lol.
its gotta be a fooked pump coz its overheating and making strange noises lmfao.

also - looked closely at it and found an adjuster switch on the top and went to turn it and it just came off in my hand - either i dont know my own strength or itwas broken already.

deffo gonn get it sorted this weekend.