PDA

View Full Version : nova engine advice 1.6 gte bottom end 1.6 16v corsa top

elgan
08-10-03, 12:48 AM
rite here goes...

project nova glf is coming along nicely since i bought it 11mnths ago

there are a couple of what are believed ot be a nova first on it.

now im starting to look into the engine side of things now

its still a 1.0 4spd at the moment. the engine is really mint and i will drive on that untill i find something else no problem. threrefore there aint no hurry.

now then, my friend has a 1.6 gte nova lump doing absolutely nothing.

and i have 3 small block xe heads which need some machining

what ive always wanted was a 1.6 16v pre ecotec gsi corsa lump for the nova.

can i use the gte bottom end, get it rebuilt, balanced and lighten the flywheel, then use one of the corsa heads that ive got?

i'd also need cams and followers bcos the heads are bare, so id look into some mild cams while im there.

i cant really be arsed with the injection so i would run it on twin 40's perhaps.

this would save me a hell of a lot, as i can use things that are readily available to me.

your help and advice is mucho appreciated

cheers

elgan

Tazzy
08-10-03, 01:23 AM
is everything with the lump - loom, ecu, driveshafts, gearbox etc?

Dicko
08-10-03, 07:12 AM
ok if u use the gte bottom end u would not be able to run the std injection as the gte has no hole for the knock sensor.

40's are possible, the manifold is ?120, then you would need an ignition kit from SBD, or DTA. to be honest it will be cheaper to buy a new x16xe engine than mesoing round after parts :?

Will
08-10-03, 10:02 AM
does the 1400 16v have a knock sensor on the bottem end also? how did ppl like cp get round this :?

p.s. as dicko says whole 16 16v wud be a hell of a lot easier.......... till your ecu breaks that is

elgan
08-10-03, 02:58 PM
the nova is carb at the moment, so i thought it be easier to keep it like that

i just wanted to know really if the gte bottom will mate up with the 16v head?

i know the head needs work, i will also need to purchase some cams, and i thought twin 40s would be an easy solution to run the engine.

has anyone done anything like this before?

keep ur help advice and suggestions coming

cheers

elgan

Dicko
08-10-03, 07:52 PM
u dont need a knock sensor for throttle bodies/40's

elgan
08-10-03, 08:22 PM
guy on mig said that the pistons have cut outs on the edges for the valves or sumthin. can i get my pistons machined to fit or will i need corsa ones

CP
08-10-03, 10:12 PM
Hows it going Elgan? :)

I did something similar with my 1.4 16V except i went for TB's

As Dicko says its cheaper and easier to get a std small block valver complete and tune it.
Trouble is converting an 8v bottom end to the 16v running gear cost ???'s even if its 2nd hand - you need corsa pistons = a rebore, all the pulleys for the cam belt, 16v zorst, dispak, leads and some kind of ECU to run the ignition - there's no drive for a dizzy off the cams, the cams and all the valve gear etc etc.

save yourself the trouble and money - its a backward step to do it and fit carbs - its not the same as the 2.0l