PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brakes

Tazzy
08-10-03, 12:44 AM
i dont want o change to discs as its too much hassle, and not really worth it for a 1.2!

ive looked at the top range drums on the market, but same, not really worth it on a 1.2!

and we all know the drums on Novas aint the best, so is there anything i can do to make them better?

could i fit astra GTE drums on for example?

cheerz!

Chris LR
08-10-03, 12:54 PM
Theres not much point doing anything...

The front of the car can handle and deliver more braking power (which is why it has discs) becasue thats where the weight is. So If I were you I'd check the wear on the drums/shoes replace em if you want, but concentrate of the discs.

Tazzy
08-10-03, 08:30 PM
cheerz, i am looking at hte front as well, i want V6 ATE's but i would mind 16V ATEs either!

not fussy!

mikeoxford
08-10-03, 10:48 PM
mate ive got the break setup off a lte GSi, which has bigger discs and also vented discs. the thickness of them is much bigger also.

ill do you them cheap as your local if you can collect.

they have brand new pads and disks also

Tazzy
08-10-03, 11:08 PM
lol, is there anything you dont have? i also want a f10cr 5-spped box as well, you got one of those?

is it the 16V ATE 256mm set up you have?

mikeoxford
08-10-03, 11:10 PM
last gearbox went yesterday :(

the brakes are ATE.

im unsure of there diameter - your welcome to measure and BUY them though :lol: :wink:

Stuart
09-10-03, 05:42 PM
nova gsi discs are 236mm diameter

if your going to upgrade, then get the 256mm astra/cav ones

Tazzy
09-10-03, 09:22 PM
i dont want the GSi discs, too small!

id prefer the V6 ATE ones wich are 286mm, but i dont think they will fit under my standard 14' steels!

so the best option is the 16V ATE 256mm ones, but will they fit underthe 14s?

crossa
09-10-03, 09:52 PM
They will fit under 14s.

Dicko
09-10-03, 10:15 PM
iv got an f10-5

not sure if im selling yet depends if i use the final drive in my gearbox

Tazzy
09-10-03, 11:49 PM
sound and sound!

in the mean time, does anyone have the nova GSi discs the ywant to sell? werent these grooved or drilled?

Aragorn
10-10-03, 09:04 PM
u will get 256mm disks under some 14'' rims depending on width and offset

i wouldnt bother arsing around with nova GSi ones - my local scrapper has hundereds of 2litre cavvys with the 256mm ates on em so im sure yours'll be the same

i'd reccomend buying new disks and pads but u can use the ones outta the scrappy if they aint too bad

Barn
11-10-03, 01:38 PM
i'd reccomend buying new disks and pads but u can use the ones outta the scrappy if they aint too bad

so u could just go to a local parts place, obviously not the dealership coz they r a rip-off, get cav disks and pads and then u r sorted?

what about the calipers (like on my SR), just leave them?

Tazzy
11-10-03, 02:19 PM
sound!

when i go to the scrappys and and i do find some 256mm cavvy brakes, what is it ill will need to take off?

256mm calipers
256mm discs

what else?

cheerz!

Aragorn
11-10-03, 07:08 PM
disks pads calipers and the caliper brackets

easiest just to unbolt the caliper bracket from the car (2 10mm allen bolts) and remove the caliper all together

then undo the disks if u want em

as i said summat like partco disks are fine - and prolly better buying new then paying a scrapper for em and finding they are warped or summat

mowgli
12-10-03, 01:25 PM
if you want proper braking performance to go with the big discs, get the cav/astra brake master cylinder. because a nova is small, GM used small diameter pistons in the brakes. the astras/cavas have bigger diameter pistons fitted. if you keep the std master cylinder, the front brakes don't get enough force to make it the car stop any better, you just have better looking brakes.
the best thing you can do with the drums is clean all of the self adjuster mechanism (or 2 dozen useless bits of scrap) and lube with copper slip, and fit new linings & drums, they are not expensive.

And swap your brake fluid, if it does not look like new chip oil, then change it.

I think brakes are the most important bit on a car, so fit the best bits you can afford.