PDA

View Full Version : Cat 1 alarm=money off your insurance... or maybe not

MattyWoo
06-10-03, 03:56 PM
Just phoned liverpool victoria, to ask how much i'd get off my insurance for having a cat 1 alarm/immobilisor fitted (going in on thursday).
"Im sorry sir, im afraid we dont give any sort of discount for alarms"
What a load of rubbish!!! :cry:
Has anyone else been told this or is it just me?? lol
Cheers
Matt

Anton
06-10-03, 03:58 PM
C1S told me the same thing :|

wisewood
06-10-03, 04:01 PM
i got a quote ona gsi a while back and asked that - they said ?9 per year discount!!!!

:lol:

Nova_Rz
06-10-03, 04:13 PM
Just phoned liverpool victoria, to ask how much i'd get off my insurance for having a cat 1 alarm/immobilisor fitted (going in on thursday).
"Im sorry sir, im afraid we dont give any sort of discount for alarms"
What a load of rubbish!!! :cry:
Has anyone else been told this or is it just me?? lol
Cheers
Matt

yeh, they also don't care if i've done pass plus .. or where i park my car at night (i do have a garage)

Will
06-10-03, 04:18 PM
ive told ppl this many times, the cat1 isnt worth the paper its written on when it comes to insurance discount, the bst thing u will get is the peace of mind as its tested to a high degree for theft etc etc.....

i had my clifford over 2 insurance policys

CIS - no discount

HIC - asked abt it, told them, dont think i got any discount they never asked for any proof, it was stated in my documents but as far as i know it made fook all difference.

LV, pah says it all, pmsl

having 2nd thoughts abt it now matt?

Jim
06-10-03, 04:36 PM
Yep, I got told same thing. Even when I said I had a full steering lock aswell. The only time they'll knock down your insurance is when you have a car in a locked garage :D

Oh, and a nice area helps aswell :?

Jim

Will
06-10-03, 04:39 PM
so jim gets his discount for a garage and then gets it taken away again for the area part ;).........

hotdogs_r_us
06-10-03, 04:39 PM
C1S told me the same thing :|

DITTO

They knock money off for Factory fitted the ways that are easy to Bypass

dave.gsi
06-10-03, 04:43 PM
insurance companies seem to take a great deal of pleasure in adding money to our premiums when we make modifications because 'it is more likely to get stolen'.

however, when its the other way round and the modification makes it harder to steal they don't want to know.

thats life. it sucks

Dicko
06-10-03, 04:54 PM
when had my 1.2 my cat2 knocked off ?120 and it only cost ?90

with my toad ai606 i got ?60 knocked off. but it cost ?240

but i have peace of mind knowing soembody is gonna have a real time trying to get the fcker going with 3 point imobiliser system.

Stuart
06-10-03, 05:08 PM
and no ecu ;) lol

MattyWoo
06-10-03, 05:15 PM
and no ecu ;) lol

LMFAO!!!!!

Is the Ai606 a decent alarm setup then dicko?? Im getting it fitted with 3 extra options - Central locking, body impact sensor and glass break sensor.

Dicko
06-10-03, 05:40 PM
pretty decent for the price ye :)

but central locking is standard on these? so why is it 1 of ur options :-/

sometimes u need to pay an extea ?10 if you dont have a motor in each door

Ben
06-10-03, 05:52 PM
Ai 606 is good alarm, Adrian flux dont care about rating either.

Rang up to swap over onto the GTE and they asked if was immobilised i said yeah but not thatcham and they said not matter as long as it has an immobiliser.

Riggy
06-10-03, 06:48 PM
what type of discounts do you get for that q devices such as snap off steerin wheels as am goin to buy one in couple of week cos cant see any1 drivin of without a wheel lol

Will
06-10-03, 07:26 PM
you wont get any discount mate but more peace of mind tbh

Stuart
06-10-03, 07:38 PM
even if you leave the steering wheel hanging on the colum and then have it hidden for you?? lol

Will
06-10-03, 07:40 PM
where abts stu? the boot would be a good place........?

Aragorn
06-10-03, 08:58 PM
deja vu

having working locks normally helps to tho ;)

Dicko
06-10-03, 10:22 PM
i drove my nova home from 8 miles away with no steering wheel after somebody tried to nick it and snaped the steering shaft!! wanna know how? :twisted: :twisted:

dave.gsi
06-10-03, 10:27 PM
did you put some go-kart style string through each wheel and pull really hard?

Ben
06-10-03, 10:50 PM
Its also possible to drive a car with a disklock on.

dave.gsi
06-10-03, 10:53 PM
how? i find it difficult driving to the end of the drive with it on (and the drive is straight). normally i have to stop and take it off after a few yards

?Marty?
06-10-03, 11:54 PM
i can drive a car that's got a snap off boss kit (with steering wheel removed) anywhere. round round-abouts and etc. very easy to do.

devices like disklocks wont give ANY discount, since they are manual devices, so there's no guarantee to the insurance companies that you'd allways use them.

with thatcham approved devices, it depends on the insurer as to whether you get a discount and how much that is.

with some cars, you wont even get a quote unless you have a thatcham cat one (and even a tracker - for a certain jap import that i've been procing up :wink: ) fitted.

Will
07-10-03, 10:07 AM
pmsl go on then dicko tell all... and marty tell of your method

ben im guessing ur talking abt smashing the windscreen, lmfao

dave.gsi
07-10-03, 10:17 AM
smashing the windscreen wont help much as the disklock spins on top of the wheel. even if you could turn it 360 degrees the wheel underneath will stay straight

Jim
07-10-03, 10:35 AM
Can we not post about how to bypass Steering locks incase any twocer scum are reading this post. I have a disclock and I'd rather people didnt go telling how to drive a car with one attached.

Jim

Ben
07-10-03, 05:39 PM
Hence why i never said how.

Disklocks are actually Thatcham Catergory 2 and certain insurers will take them into account.

Once got a quote with the AA and the fact of having a Cat 1 alaram proffesionally fitted put the cost of insurance up by ?250 :|

wisewood
07-10-03, 06:00 PM
god bless the AA!!!

?Marty?
07-10-03, 11:20 PM
That's just fucking stupid!

and

Can we not post about how to bypass Steering locks incase any twocer scum are reading this post. I have a disclock and I'd rather people didnt go telling how to drive a car with one attached.

Jim

also a reason why i didnt say anything either. Just said i could.